International Financial Document Protocol - Bank Document and Letter of Sponsorship Protocol for International Students
Here are some guidelines to help you submit a Bank Document and/or Letter of Sponsorship.
1.) What is required
- If your legal parent or guardian will pay for your education, please submit a Bank Document.
- If you will pay for your education, please submit a Bank Document.
- If someone other than you or your legal parent or guardian will pay for your education, please submit a Bank Document and a Letter of Sponsorship.
2.) Bank Document Guidelines
If you or your legal parent or guardian will pay for your education, please use the Bank Document (PDF) template. Please note the following:
- Documentation must be an original bank statement or bank letter on bank letterhead. Documentation should be in English, with bank name and branch, official signature or seal, name of account holder, type of account, and should not be older than 3 months.
- All funding must be in liquid accounts readily accessible for use to pay tuition and fees (checking, savings, and certificates of deposit accounts only) and should indicate the specific balance of funds available in U.S. dollars or should contain the specific denomination of the currency of the funds.
- Certificates of Deposit accounts must mature prior to the date that bills are due.
- We cannot accept the following types of statements: investment accounts, or other accounts that fluctuate, accounts that are long-term or restricted, statements of property value or other deeds, retirement accounts, salary statements/employer letters, or business accounts.
- Bank letters must include an exact balance – it cannot simply say "balance will cover educational expenses."
- Bank statements that are not typed (that are hand written) must be accompanied by an official bank letter with an official signature and/or seal.
- If there are multiple sponsors, all bank statement balances must combine to a total equal to or greater than total cost of attendance for your specific program and must be accompanied by a sponsor letter or form signed by each sponsor.
- Submitting documentation that does not meet the criteria will delay issuance of your I-20.
3.) Letter of Sponsorship Guidelines
If you are being sponsored by a person:
Please use the Letter of Sponsorship (PDF) template.
If you are being sponsored by an organization, please ask them for a letter that meets the following conditions. Note that we may seek additional certification of the organization's funding ability.
- The award letter must be on official letterhead, with a specific contact name, address, telephone number, and e-mail.
- The award letter should specify an exact amount of funding that equals or exceeds the total cost of attendance for your specific program in USD.