Apply as a transfer student if you are currently enrolled at a college or university and you will complete 9 or more college credits prior to your desired start term at Emerson.
1. Submit your application
You will receive an application acknowledgement via email once your online application has been submitted. You will also receive acknowledgement via email when your application becomes complete and includes all supporting credentials.
Please note that transfer applicants may apply to all undergraduate majors except for Business of Creative Enterprises and Comedic Arts.
2. Supporting Academic Credentials
The following supporting materials are required for transfer applicants. Most application credentials may be submitted online via the Common Application. Please include your full name and date of birth on any application materials you submit by mail.
- High school transcript or GED: An official, final high school transcript or GED indicating your date of graduation, is required.
- College/University transcript(s): An official transcript is required from each college or university you have attended. For your current institution, make sure the transcript indicates courses in progress. Successful candidates typically have maintained a 3.0 grade point average in previous college coursework. However, we will consider any special circumstances you list in your application. If you have transcripts from a college or university outside the United States, you need to have them evaluated by World Education Services (WES), Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), or the Center for Educational Documentation before the application deadline. Processing international credentials may take up to eight weeks, so please allow sufficient time for your documents to arrive by the application deadline. We do not require a Registrar Report.
- Academic recommendation: An evaluation or recommendation is required from someone who has taught you in a college subject.
- Mid-term report: Includes estimated grades from your current semester. If you are not currently attending college, we will waive the mid-term report requirement.
- SAT or ACT test results: SAT code: 3367, ACT code: 1820
- Educational gaps: If there are any gaps present with your educational history, we will ask you to account for them within your transfer writing supplement.
Test scores are not required if by the time you enroll:
- You will earn an associate’s degree
- You will have junior status or above at your current institution (60 to 64 credits)
- You graduated from high school (or received a GED) three or more years ago
We will periodically review incoming applications and grant SAT/ACT and/or midterm report waivers for those who qualify. If you are expecting a waiver, please allow at least a week for it to show in the Application Portal after you have submitted your application materials.
3. Major- or Program-specific Requirements
Additional application materials are required for applicants to Performing Arts programs, and recommended for Media Arts Production applicants.
The Department of Performing Arts only accepts transfer applications for the fall term and does not accept transfer applications for BFA Acting or BFA Musical Theatre.
To submit a Creative Sample via Slideroom you will need your Emerson ID. Your Emerson ID is emailed to you 24-48 hours after submitting your Common Application, Emerson Supplement, and application fee payment.
If you submit your application close to or on the application deadline, we encourage you to upload your Creative Sample to Slideroom as soon as possible after receiving your Emerson ID. We understand that this may delay your Creative Sample submission beyond the application deadline.
4. Check the Status of Your Application Credentials
Within 1 week of submitting your application, you will receive an email from Emerson College with an Emerson ID. You can use your Emerson ID and date of birth to log into the Application Portal to determine whether your application is complete or incomplete.
Please keep in mind that it may take up to 2 weeks for credentials to show in our system after they have been received. Materials that are postmarked by the appropriate application deadline will be considered on time. Feel free to contact us if your application materials do not show in the Application Portal within 2 weeks.
5. Apply for Financial Aid and learn about Merit Scholarships
There is specific information available for transfer students regarding merit scholarships and the financial aid process. Please do not wait for an admission decision before you complete your financial aid application.
6. Watch for Updates from Emerson College
We will send you information to the mailing address and email address listed on your application. Please make sure to check your mail and email so that we can provide you with important updates. We also ask that you update your email settings to allow correspondence from firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember that if you opt out of emails from Emerson College, you may miss important deadline reminders!
7. Decision Notification
Notification deadlines are posted on our dates, deadlines, and options for admission page.