Sydney: Gender, Sports & Global Communication
July 19 through August 9, 2023
This three-week program provides students with an insider perspective on the relationship between geo-politics, communications, and gender/sexuality studies through the lens of the sports industry. Using iconic Sydney, Australia as the backdrop, engage in dialogue surrounding the changing landscape and face of athletics and explore the interplay between media markets, tourists, fans, sponsors, and athletes themselves during major sporting events. Gain a foothold on these topics amid excursions to cultural and political sites of interest as well as a number of games and/or matches.
Program Eligibility & Admission
- Recommended for Communication Studies, Sports Communication, Journalism, and Public Relations majors, but open to all undergraduate and graduate students.
- Gain a practical, strategic, and technical understanding of international public relations and strategy topics, including media relations, social media, branding, media management, crisis communication, and more.
- Explore how brands navigate various forms of media across borders.
- Attend guest lectures on media strategies and immigration policy in the Australian context.
- Attend a minimum of three sporting events in Sydney’s most famous sports stadiums/parks.
- Learn about Australian wildlife and conservation with trips to Featherdale Wildlife Park and Taronga Zoo.
- Attend an Aboriginal walking tour and learn about Australia’s history with indigenous populations.
- Be steps away from some of the world’s most famous beaches such as Coogee, Bondi, and Manly.
Total of 4 credits. Students will be required to be enrolled by Emerson College in ONE of the following courses:
- CC 437 - Advanced Topics in Sports Communication (4 credits)
- CC 633 - Sports, Culture & Society (4 credits)
Costs & Inclusions
- Undergraduate: $8,300
- Graduate: $10,300
Included in Program Fee
- Tuition for 4 credits
- Daily breakfast and some additional meals
- Campus-based student accommodations
- Registration Fee
- Airport pick-up transportation
- Local transportation passes (for trains, buses and ferries)
- Included program excursions
Not Included in Program Fee
- Round trip Airfare (Est. $2,200)
- Airport drop-off for return flight
- Some meals and incidental expenses
- Passports (or Visas)
- International Health Insurance*
*Health Insurance Coverage: Participants must have an insurance plan that provides coverage while abroad. If you feel your current insurance is not adequate, please research a plan that is.
For information on Supplemental Health Plans, please visit our Health Insurance Requirements page.
Subject to change.