Emerson is providing this information based on its current plans and in accordance with health and safety information currently available. Emerson may, in its discretion, or under direction of government or health authorities, change plans regarding modalities of courses or activities, and physical access to any facilities.
The Design/Technology for Stage & Screen Program is designed for students who want intensive training in the elements of theatrical and cinematic design, have respect for the design process, and understand how to manage their time and complete assignments both in and out of the classroom.
Students entering grades 10, 11 and 12 during the 2023 - 2024 academic school year and who have the desire and maturity to receive constructive criticism about their work and give helpful feedback to others during the program are encouraged to apply.
Each candidate for the Design/Technology for Stage & Screen Program must submit the required online application, a non-refundable $60 application fee, and the following documents:
- Student Statement of Purpose: In one or two pages, please describe:
- What do you hope to achieve during the Pre-College Program?
- An event you feel has prepared you for Emerson's Pre-College Program.
- Essay: In one or two pages, discuss the following: a theatrical production, film or visual artwork that you believe has most influenced or inspired you and your design work.
- Teacher Recommendation: Please submit at least one recommendation, completed by a teacher who knows your work. If possible, the teacher should know your work in the field to which you are applying.
- Resume of your theatrical, visual art, or design experience.
- Creative Portfolio: photos of your work, show paperwork, or other items that highlight your skills and accomplishments.
- Transcript: Official secondary school transcripts are required.
- Submissions of official PSAT, SAT or ACT test scores are optional.
International Student Applicants
Visit international student information to learn about additional required application materials and find out more about applying to pre-college programs.
Applications will be open in November/ December 2023. We will accept applications through February 15, 2024 to ensure enough time for students to apply for and receive their F-1 Visa.
Admission to Emerson College's Arts and Communication Pre-College Programs is on a rolling basis. We suggest applying early, as space is limited. Admission decisions are made frequently.