About the Undergraduate Global Film Art Major
Through a groundbreaking joint degree program between Paris College of Art and Emerson College, students have an opportunity to study fine art and film in the heart of Paris. The Global BFA in Film Art program draws on the expertise and reputations of both Paris College of Art and Emerson College (through our Department of Visual and Media Arts in the School of the Arts). Graduates receive a bachelor’s degree from both schools.
In this intercontinental program, you will benefit from the highest international standard of film and art education within an American academic framework. You will:
- Spend each academic year in Paris, three summer residencies in Boston, and one summer residency in the Netherlands.
- Create film and media art, including short experimental films and videos, gallery installations, web series, and public media art.
- Analyze and challenge your own assumptions and frame of reference while adapting to become a citizen of today’s interconnected world.
You will also have unprecedented opportunities to combine digital filmmaking with traditional studio art practices while also engaging in media, cultural, historical, and critical studies. You will broaden your understanding of contemporary art discourses and techniques as you create your own film art.
Throughout these academic and artistic experiences, you will collaborate with peers from around the globe and gain invaluable production skills and cultural fluency to enrich your career and life.
Experiential Learning Experience in Film Art
Film Art majors have ample opportunity to gain real-world learning experience. Here are a few examples:
- Opportunity to work with industry-level equipment to produce and edit numerous student films, including the BFA Capstone project.
- Live for three years in the multicultural metropolis of Paris and partake of its innumerable cultural, artistic, and educational resources.
- Explore the arts scene of the Netherlands and surrounding countries during a summer at Kasteel Well.
- Learn from and network with filmmakers through guest lectures and attendance at film festivals.
Careers for Global Film Art Majors
Our Global Film Art graduates pursue a variety of film-focused careers. Examples of careers include:
- Curator of Motion Arts
- Film Editor
- Film Producer
- Installation Artist