About the Graduate Journalism and Media Innovation Program
Emerson College’s online Journalism and Media Innovation MA program immerses you in every aspect of modern journalism and media. Become a multimedia storyteller, learn to interview on the fly, write for different audiences, pitch news stories and documentary ideas, investigate leads using data and analytics, and be ready to enter the field of journalism or communications with a professional work portfolio.
Housed in the Department of Journalism in the School of Communication, the program’s award-winning faculty are experts in topics like multimedia journalism, data visualization, and media entrepreneurship, and provide one-on-one mentorship to you each semester. Whether your goal is to work at a news agency, become a freelance journalist or communications professional, or earn a promotion, you’ll have access to electives ranging from law, design, community engagement, and more to ensure you achieve your professional goals.
- 100% online program
- 100% asynchronous program
- Four core courses: Foundations of Journalism and Media Creation, Evolving Journalism and Media, Community Storytelling and Storytelling with Technology
- Students with an undergraduate degree in journalism or professionals with 5+ years of journalism experience can waive 4 credits, completing the degree for a total of 28 credits, saving you time and money
- Explore new and evolving areas of journalism like multi-platform storytelling and news distribution, photojournalism, data visualization, interactive news, news documentaries for streaming channels, artificial intelligence and journalism, cultural criticism, community storytelling, and independent journalism
- Choose electives that align with your career goals on topics including digital publishing, leadership, entrepreneurship, branding, and creative writing
- One-on-one mentoring with professionals several times a semester
- Learn from award-winning faculty with expertise in digital journalism, international news, documentary production, and some of whom had longtime careers at the Wall Street Journal, CNN, CBS, and the Washington Post
- Designed for students pursuing multidisciplinary careers in journalism, independent or freelance journalism, multimedia writing, copywriting, media content creation, and communications
- Complete your degree in one year full-time or two years part-time
- No GRE requirements to apply