About the Undergraduate Musical Theatre Major
If your dream is to perform on the world stage as part of the next generation of musical theater makers and collaborators, there is no better place than Emerson to nurture your inherent talent and develop your unique creative voice.
Emerson’s undergraduate Musical Theatre BFA program is one of the most celebrated pre-professional performance programs in the nation. Housed in the Department of Performing Arts in the School of the Arts, the BFA program’s faculty encourage you to take risks and share high standards with supportive peers. As part of the program, you will have the opportunity to audition for summer positions in New York, New England, and at other highly regarded theatrical venues nationwide.
By graduation, you will be ready to join Emerson alumni working regularly on and off Broadway, regionally, internationally, and on major tours. When you ultimately assume the professional stage, you will truly be able to bring your all.
Real-World Experience as a Performing Artist
Musical Theatre majors have ample opportunity to gain real-world learning experience. Here are a few examples:
- Graduating seniors have the chance to perform in front of industry reps, directors, and noted Emerson alumni at two annual showcases: our spring showcase in Boston and our one-of-a-kind autumn showcase in New York City.
- Students have the opportunity to perform in our five professional-quality theater spaces. Our theaters are supported by modern rehearsal studios, practice rooms, and a design studio, light lab, costume shop, scenic shop, and makeup suite.
- Emerson Stage is the producing organization within the Department of Performing Arts. Its nine-show season offers more than 120 opportunities for actors, 100 positions for design staff, 70 for production staff, and another 70 for theater management staff and 30 artistic staff—all reserved exclusively for Performing Arts students.
- Our campus is home to a vibrant student theater scene with 30 student performance organizations, including the Musical Theatre Society, Musical Theatre Against the Grain, Emerson Comedy Workshop, and Flawless Brown.
Careers for Musical Theatre Majors
Our Musical Theatre graduates seek careers on stage and screen, as well as roles behind the scenes. Examples of careers include:
- Art Therapist
Notable Performing Arts Alumni
- Miguel Cervantes, actor, Hamilton (Broadway), American Idiot (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway)
- Lauren Chapman, actor, Frozen (touring), Kinky Boots (Broadway and touring)
- Erin Ramirez, actor, Six, Les Misérables (touring)
- Sam Simahk, actor, Carousel (Broadway), Into the Woods (touring), The King and I (touring)