Internships allow students to apply the knowledge they gain in the classroom to a professional setting. These opportunities are the perfect way to use the concepts you learn from your major to earn experience along with academic credit or compensation.
You may complete internships either individually or with recognition from Emerson College. Please note that for-credit internships must be completed with approval from the Career Development Center. Students may not receive retroactive credit.
Students interested in pursuing for-credit internships must read and acknowledge our Internship Policies as well as our Internship Code of Conduct.
Please note: International Students must receive Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization for all internship experiences, paid or unpaid. Please see our CPT Guide here.
- 4-Credit Internships
- 8-Credit Internships
- Professional Development Experiences (1-Credit)
- Community Development Experiences (1-Credit)
Steps to Submitting Your Internship
- Secure an internship. Use Handshake to search or find one on your own.
- Submit an Experience Proposal through Handshake. The faculty member running your course will be sent your proposal for their final approval.
- Register for the 499 or 690 internship course within your major. (View Class Terms & Requirements) Please note that this is a required course paired with your internship, which requires tuition payment for its credits and course completion. Students pursuing a PDE will be contacted with the code to register for PDE 100 after their proposal is approved.