Imagining Ghanaian Culture Through Visual & Multimedia Storytelling
*Students should plan on participating in group travel to Ghana for the program start date or arriving to Ghana on the program start date independently.
With the support of Hilltop Global Group, this program will offer students a boot-camp style visual storytelling experience that will cover photography, data visualization, audio slideshows, and storyboarding influenced by Ghanaian history and culture and supported by the Ghanaian media environment.
Program Eligibility & Admission
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- Recommended for Journalism students and African American & Africana Studies minors, but open to all majors and minors.
This program is offered for a total of 8 credits. Students will be required to be enrolled by Emerson College in the following two courses:
- JR 206 & CC 372 or BCE 320
- Build your skills as a backpack visual storyteller.
- Collaborate with a cohort of Emerson students from diverse majors.
- Leave with a professional product to add to your portfolio.
- Immerse in the culture and history of Ghana.
- Visit local media outlets and associations such as the National Film & Television Institute (NAFTI), Ghana Broadcasting Company/TV3, Ghanaian Institute of Journalism, and Media Foundation for West Africa.
- Explore UNESCO World Heritage site Elmina Castle, Black Star Square, the Dubois Centre, and Kakum National Park.
- Meet and learn from local experts in the fields of history, poetry, tribal governance, photography, beauty/fashion, media, and dance.
Cost & Inclusions
Program Fee: $8,800
Included in the Program Fee
- Tuition (4 credits)
- Registration Fee
- Housing in double rooms in a resort-style hotel
- Some shared meals
- Included excursions, company visits, and guest speakers
- Airport transfers on program dates and in-country transportation
Not Included in the Program Fee
- Round-trip airfare to/from Kotoka International Airport (Est. $1,500)
- Some independent meals
- Incidental or personal expenses
- Passports (or visas, if required)
- International Health Insurance*
*May be waived by those with alternate comparable insurance.
*Health Insurance Coverage: Participants must have an insurance plan that provides coverage while abroad. If you feel your current insurance is not adequate, please research a plan that is.
For information on Supplemental Health Plans, please visit our Health Insurance Requirements page.
Subject to change.