Emerson College is committed to respecting the privacy of information and data that may be used to identify you (your “personal information”). This Privacy Notice describes our policies and practices regarding the ways we collect and use personal information in connection with Emerson’s Institutional Advancement fundraising efforts, alumni relations, and donor outreach. Please note that this is not our complete privacy notice for residents of the European Union (“EU”). If you live in the EU, please refer to our GDPR privacy notice.
Personal Information We Collect
Emerson College holds personal information related to its alumni and other supporters (such as donors, prospective donors, volunteers, and family members of students). If you are an alumnus or other supporter, we may collect and use the following types of personal information about you:
- Biographical information (e.g., name, age, gender date of birth, national origin, current nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious affiliation)
- Contact information (e.g., email address, phone number, mailing address)
- Information about your interests and preferences (e.g., philanthropic interests and preferences)
- Information about your activities at Emerson College (e.g., club memberships)
- Information about your involvement with Emerson College and other interests (e.g., attendance at events, philanthropic interests, volunteer efforts)
- Family information (e.g., marital status, name of spouse, names of parents, associated contact information)
- Health information (e.g., disability, food allergies for purposes of event participation)
- Financial information (e.g., history of donations, wealth information, checking account or payment card information used for donations)
- Employment and education information (e.g., name of employer, occupation, job title, work history, level of education
- Alumni records and academic information, if applicable (e.g., major, transcript, degree, date of graduation)
- Your communications with us (e.g., emails or inquiry forms you submit)
How We Use Your Personal Information
Your personal information is used for the following purposes:
- Sending you informational publications (e.g., Expression Magazine, newsletters from departments and clubs of interest to you)
- Conducting surveys so that we can learn more about our alumni and other supporters
- Providing services (e.g., networking opportunities, ongoing career services)
- Sending you information about fundraising campaigns, events, and volunteer opportunities that may be of interest to you
- Conducting wealth analysis and research to understand your philanthropic interests and ability to give in order to tailor our fundraising efforts
- For administrative purposes (e.g., processing payment card and other gift information, issuing tax receipts, managing events and reunions, and keeping our records accurate and up-to-date)
- For research and statistical purposes
- To publicly acknowledge gifts (with consent of the donor)
- For compliance with legal obligations, including to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; to cooperate with regulators and law enforcement as required by law; and to defend our rights or the rights of any third party in legal proceedings
- To prevent or investigate fraud or other unlawful activity, and to protect the security of Emerson College’s property, website, and other systems
- To meet the obligations of private organizations with oversight over Emerson College, such as accreditation organizations
- To protect the health, safety, or rights of you, other alumni, students, faculty, staff, and visitors
How We Share Your Personal Information
We treat your personal data with care and confidentiality. We may share your personal information with the following parties:
- Vendors and Service Providers – For example service providers and business partners who process recurring gifts payments, mail newsletters, and maintain our systems of record.
- Other Emerson College departments, alumni associations, clubs, and interest groups.
- Other Emerson alumni subject to your approval.
- Governmental bodies as necessary for compliance with law, with law enforcement authorities when necessary, and other third parties to enforce our legal rights.
- Private organizations with oversight over Emerson College, such as accreditation organizations.
How We Protect Your Personal Information
Emerson College uses technical and organizational measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to the personal information we process. These measures are aimed at ensuring the ongoing integrity and confidentiality of personal information.
Change to this Privacy Notice
Emerson College reserves the right to amend this Privacy Notice at any time, for any reason. If we make material changes to this Notice, we will notify you. Any changes will be updated here, and you should check our website to access our current Privacy Notice. This Privacy Notice was last updated on February 21, 2019.
Questions, concerns, requests, or complaints regarding the Privacy Notice or how Emerson College uses your personal information should be directed to: alumni [at] emerson.edu (subject: Questions%20about%20the%20Institutional%20Advancement%20Privacy%20Notice) title="Email to Institutional Advancement regarding Privacy Notice" or 617-824-8542.