The College's mission is to educate students to assume positions of leadership in communication and the arts and to advance scholarship and creative work that brings innovation, depth, and diversity to these disciplines. Our mission can only be met when we have an environment that contributes to scholarship and our creative work.
As part of a community of artists and innovators we will work together to establish an environment built on trust and mutual respect. With this in mind it is an expectation that all Students know and honor the following Rights and Responsibilities.
All students at Emerson College have certain rights. These rights include:
- The right to participate in the open exchange of ideas and freedom of expression. Understanding this right does not exempt you from the consequences of your actions.
- The right to be secure from unreasonable or unauthorized search or seizure.
- The right to reasonable privacy, including the privacy of personal information.
- The right to a fair Student Conduct Process.
- The right to bring forward a complaint if one has a good faith reason to believe that it is more likely than not that the rights or responsibilities derived from this statement have been violated.
Student members of the Emerson College community as individuals and in groups have certain responsibilities. These include:
- The responsibility to respect and equally treat all members of the College community in a civil manner.
- The responsibility to know and follow College policies as well as federal, state and local laws and comply with them as required.
- The responsibility to respect the confidentiality of personal information about members of the Emerson College community and to preserve the right of privacy.
- The responsibility to recognize that student and student organization/club behavior reflects upon the individuals involved and upon the College community.