London: From Shakespeare to Stand-up
July 14 through August 14, 2022
*Students should arrange to arrive in London on the morning of the program start date.
This intensive 4-week, 8 credit program offers students the opportunity to experience British comedy in its heartland: London, as well as in Edinburgh and Stratford-Upon-Avon. Students will explore the origins, evolution, and influence of British comedy and the laugh-scene of cutting edge theater, stand-up clubs, and improv venues. In addition to earning 8 VMA credits, students will have the opportunity to visit famous London museums, theatres and galleries and engage with local comedians.
Program Eligibility & Admission
- Open to rising juniors and seniors.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher and have no social sanctions against them.
- Recommended particularly for Comedic Arts students and Visual & Media Arts, but open to all students.
- Limited to 16 students.
Total of 8 credits. Students will be required to be enrolled by Emerson College in the following two courses:
- VM 385 - Writing for Late Night (4 credits)
- VM 403 - Seminar in Comedic Studies: London Laugh Track (4 credits)
- Examine the history and cultural influence of British comedy in theater, film, and television.
- Expand your own cultural comedic perspectives through written and performance work, including a 5-minute stand-up performance in one of London’s comedy clubs.
- Get to know London in the footsteps of famous comedic writers with guided commentary.
- Take an excursion to Edinburgh and immerse yourself in the esteemed Fringe Festival, the largest arts festival in the world and the home of the Comedy Award.
- Tour London’s major sites and attractions by bus and river.
- Visit the famous Globe Theater and experience a West End show.
- Perform (if you like) in a well-known London stand-up venue.
- Visit Shakespeare’s birthplace and see a Royal Shakespeare Company production in Stratford-Upon-Avon.
Cost & Inclusions
Program Fee: $11,200
Included in Program Fee
- Tuition (8 credits @ $800/credit)
- Registration Fee
- Entrances to comedy shows and theatre
- Welcome and farewell meals
- Local transportation pass
- Excursions to Edinburgh and Stratford-Upon-Avon
Not Included in Program Fee
- Round-trip airfare to/from London (Est. $1,300)
- Most meals and incidental or personal expenses
- Passports (or visas, if required)
- International Health Insurance*
*May be waived by those with alternate comparable insurance.
*Health Insurance Coverage: Participants must have an insurance plan that provides coverage while abroad. If you feel your current insurance is not adequate, please research a plan that is.
For information on Supplemental Health Plans, please visit our Health Insurance Requirements page.