About the Emerson Enhancement Fund (EEF)
The Emerson Enhancement Fund (EEF), generously established by Leo and Patti Wheeler Hindery (P’15), invites Emerson College students with an identified financial need to enrich their collegiate experience by securing additional funding for extra-curricular programming, event attendance, creative and/or research projects.
Awards can range from $250 to a $4,000 maximum. Both graduate and undergraduate students who exhibit exceptional financial need are eligible to apply. Financial need is determined by the Office of Financial Aid. Those students with a current year FAFSA application that indicates an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $7,500 or less will be considered. In lieu of the FAFSA, international students must submit the International Student Budget Form in order to determine eligibility.
Previous EEF recipients are not eligible to reapply in future semesters.
If EEF funds were not used for specified a project or event, they must be returned immediately to the Office of Student Accounts.
Examples of Enhancement Opportunities
- Unpaid internships
- Study abroad travel expenses
- Film projects
- Educational research
- Conference travel
- Other plans that would enrich the student’s experience beyond regular classroom interaction
Successful applications will be completed on the SFS Portal, and will:
- Be type-written (including the statement of support, budget, and application)
- Demonstrate financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid (all financial aid applications must be complete)
- Detail clearly the nature of the proposed initiative
- Provide an explanation as to why this initiative particularly interests the student
- Explain the anticipated impact of the grant upon their Emerson experience
- Provide a simple budget form
- Provide a brief statement of support from faculty or administrative staff member
- Meet the published deadlines
- Special instructions for international students: please submit an International Student Household Budget form (PDF), found in the application on your SFS Portal.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The EEF Fund Committee will review qualified requests. EEF Committee members include: Assistant Vice President of Student Success, Assistant Vice President of Student Financial Services, Assistant Vice President of Academic Administration and Finance, Director of Financial Aid, Director of Student Success, Access and Belonging, Director of Financial Wellness, Education, and Communications, an Assistant Director of Financial Aid, and a Financial Aid Counselor.
Received funds must be used during the course of the current academic year. Funding for Summer and Fall term projects should be applied for in the Spring semester and funding for Spring term projects should be applied for in the Fall semester.
Some or all of your award may be subject to taxation in accordance with federal, state and other regulations. For general guidance, you may refer to federal regulations included in IRS Publication 970, or contact Accounts Payable at 617-824-8520.
If you are not a U.S. resident, Emerson College may be required to withhold taxes from your award. Please contact either the Payroll Office or Accounts Payable who will instruct you on the documentation needed to determine if you are eligible for any treaty benefits.
Please consult with an outside tax advisor if you are uncertain of the implications of this award on your personal tax situation. Emerson College is not responsible for any taxes that may arise from this award, and does not provide tax advice.
The EEF has been established by donors to help support the educational experiences of students with high demonstrated financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid. Application submission deadlines must be met in order to be considered. Previous EEF recipients are not eligible to reapply in future semesters.
- Spring semester project/activity deadline is December 13, 2022
All application items can be found on the SFS Portal, and must be completed and submitted by the deadline in order to be considered.
- Please send an email with your name and Emerson ID to finaid [at] emerson.edutitle="Email the Office of Financial Aid" with the subject line “Can I apply for EEF?”.
- We will respond to your query within one business day. Please do not submit your application until you have received confirmation that you are eligible to apply.
- Once you have been informed of your eligibility to apply, please complete the application in your SFS Portal and email a copy of your Statement of Support (see PDF Downloads below) to finaid [at] emerson.edutitle="Email Financial Aid".
Following project completion, award recipients must submit the EEF Grant Report Form (PDF). All reports must be returned within 30 days of project completion. Further information regarding reporting requirements will be included with funding approval notification. Disbursement information will also be included with the funding approval notification.