About the Kevin Bright Scholarship Fund
The Kevin Bright Scholarship Fund is an annual fund designed to support the experience of undergraduate students enrolled in the Emerson Los Angeles (ELA) program who have high demonstrated financial need. Funds honor alumnus and ELA founding director, Kevin Bright ’76. Students selected for funding will be known as Kevin Bright Scholars.
The Fund distributes $10,000 annually ($5,000 per semester) among recipients. The selection committee will determine the amount of the award and the recipients selected. The funds can be used toward indirect costs associated with the program, such as travel fees (including travel to/from Los Angeles, rental cars, and parking), extracurricular programming, event attendance, and more.
Financial need is determined by the Office of Financial Aid. Applicants must have a valid Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current year. In lieu of the FAFSA, international students, or students otherwise ineligible to file a FAFSA, must submit the Kevin Bright Scholarship Fund Student Household Budget Form for eligibility determination. This form can be found within the scholarship application on the SFS Portal.
Awards received from the Fund must be used during the semester that the student is enrolled in the ELA program. If Kevin Bright Scholarship Fund awards are not used, the Office of Financial Aid should be notified and the funds must be returned immediately to the Office of Student Accounts.
Successful applications will:
- Be submitted on the SFS Portal
- Demonstrate financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid (all financial aid application documents must be complete)
- Detail clearly the nature of the proposed initiative or costs requested
- Explain the anticipated impact of the need-based scholarship on the student’s Emerson experience
- Provide a simple budget form (found in the application)
- Meet the published deadlines each semester
- Include a student household budget form (found in the application), if the applicant is an international student, or ineligible to file for FAFSA
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Some or all of your award may be subject to taxation in accordance with federal, state and other regulations. For general guidance, you may refer to federal regulations included in IRS Publication 970 or contact Accounts Payable at 617-824-8520.
If you are not a U.S. resident, Emerson College may be required to withhold taxes from your award. Please contact either the Payroll Office or Accounts Payable for instructions on the documentation needed to determine if you are eligible for any treaty benefits.
Please consult with an outside tax advisor if you are uncertain of the implications of this award on your personal tax situation. Emerson College is not responsible for any taxes that may arise from this award, and does not provide tax advice.
- First, send an email with your name and Emerson ID number to finaid [at] emerson.edutitle="Email the Office of Financial Aid" with the subject line “Can I apply for the Kevin Bright Scholarship Fund?” We will respond to your query within one business day.
- Once you have been informed of your eligibility, please complete the following forms. Please do not submit your application until you have received confirmation that you are eligible to apply.
Applicants to the Kevin Bright Scholarship Fund must meet application submission deadlines in order to be considered. Previous Kevin Bright Scholars are not eligible to reapply in future semesters.
Please submit all application materials in the application on your SFS Portal.
- Spring semester: November 8, 2023
All application materials must be completed and submitted by the appropriate deadline in order to be considered.