Key Due Dates
The Mann Stearns Award must be utilized between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023. Final Applications due to ORCS on April 4, 2022.
Several years ago, the late Dr. Norman Stearns and Irma Mann Stearns established a distinguished faculty award in their name to honor a full-time tenured or tenure-track faculty member in recognition of outstanding scholarly or creative achievement. A $3,000 award is presented annually to at least one applicant. This funding may be used to enhance an ongoing project or for the development of a new scholarly or creative endeavor. Travel is strongly encouraged to be a part of the project activity.
Full-time tenured and tenure-track faculty members are eligible to apply for the Mann Stearns Distinguished Faculty Award.
In evaluating proposals, the committee will consider:
- The applicant’s scholarly or creative achievement(s);
- The quality, merits, feasibility, of the project for which the award funds will be used;
- The inclusion of travel as a necessary component of the project; and
- Publications, audio/video samples, or other supporting material.
This year, we have migrated the application packet to Google Forms. The advantages to this format include:
- Email recognition: The form will recognize your Emerson email and open a blank application that will be automatically saved in your name.
- Elimination of portable document errors: Reviewers will log directly into Google forms to read applications, removing the need to send electronic documents back and forth and reducing the chance for error.
- Auto-save: The form saves your work automatically as you proceed.
- Document uploads: Budget requests are now uploaded as a separate file, and you can also upload supplementary documents to bolster your proposal.
- Ability to make revisions until the deadline: Applicants can make changes to their form up until the due date (April 4).
After you have submitted your pre-approval, you will be sent the link for the Mann Stearns application form. After you submit your proposal, you will receive a copy of your responses via email, and will have until April 4, 2022, to make any changes.
Applicants may include supplemental materials (publications, PDFs, media) that support their proposals with their submissions.
In addition to the application form and supplemental materials, a two-page curriculum vita should be included with each submission.
All applications will be reviewed by the Faculty Development and Research Council (FDRC), and with input from department Chairs, school Deans, and Academic Affairs. The FDRC will make the final recommendations to the Provost for funding. The Provost’s selections are final.
|March 7, 2022||Norman & Irma Mann Stearns Distinguished Faculty Award is announced.|
|March 21, 2022||Internal Pre-Approval Form due to ORCS.|
|April 4, 2022||Applications due via Google Forms (link emailed after receipt of internal pre-approval form).|
|By April 21, 2022||The FDRC will evaluate all proposals and make recommendations to the Provost for funding.|
|By May 3, 2022||The Provost, in consideration of the recommendations provided by the FDRC, along with feedback from Department Chairs and School Deans, will make final selections|
|By May 6, 2022||Recipient(s) are notified that they are receiving the award.|
|July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023||Grant Period|
|June 15, 2023||Receipts for expenditures needing reimbursement must be submitted via Workday by this date.|
Final Progress Report Requirement
A final written report is not required, but the successful applicant is expected to meet with members of the Mann Stearns family and other members of Emerson College to discuss the final outcome and deliverables.