Grading System

The College uses a system of letter grades and quality points to evaluate student performance. Grade point averages are computed on a scale where A = 4.0 (93-100), A- = 3.7 (90- 92), B+ = 3.3 (87-89), B = 3.0 (83-86), B- = 2.7 (80-82), C+ = 2.3 (77-79), C = 2.0 (73-76), C- = 1.7 (70-72), D = 1.0 (60-69), F = 0 (failing).

Grading Scale
Grade Meaning
W A W (Withdrawn) is recorded for students who take a leave of absence or withdraw from the College before the last two weeks of the semester. This grade does not affect the grade point average.
NF A NF (No-Show) grade indicates that the student never attended the class and did not drop the course. This is calculated as a failing grade.
WP A WP (Withdrawn Pass) grade means the student was passing the course at the time of withdrawal. This grade does not affect the grade point average.
WF A WF (Withdrawn Fail) grade means the student was failing the course at the time of withdrawal. Effective Fall Semester 2003, this grade does not affect the grade point average.
I An I (Incomplete) grade should only be given when a student has satisfactorily completed most of the required work for the course, but due to medical reasons or other extenuating circumstances, is unable to complete the work by the end of the term. Incompletes should not be given in lieu of a letter grade to simply extend the time given to the student to complete the work in the absence of the required conditions. An I grade must be completed by the end of the next term or it automatically becomes an F grade. For each Incomplete grade change, a Grade Change Form must be completed and signed by the faculty member and must be submitted to the Registrar.
P A P (Passing) grade indicates performance in a course for which specific grades are not given. A P is equivalent to a grade of C or better and may be used in designated pass/fail courses only.
PH A PH (High Pass) grade indicates exceptional performance in a Senior Creative Thesis.
S A S (Satisfactory) grade indicates satisfactory performance in a non-credit course.
U A U (Unsatisfactory) grade indicates unsatisfactory performance in a non-credit course.
AUD An AUD (Audit) grade designates registration for a course as an auditor.
NG A NG (No Grade) is used to designate a course in progress and when an instructor has not submitted a final grade to the Registrar.
YCA YC (Year Course) grade means that a grade will be given for a course at the completion of the succeeding term.

Grade Changes. No grade changes will be accepted or entered on a student’s permanent record after the end of the third week of the semester following the one in which the course was taken, except for Incompletes as discussed above. Any change must be proposed and justified by the course instructor and approved by the instructor’s Dean. No changes will be made to the student’s official academic record after the student has officially withdrawn or graduated from Emerson College.

Grade Reports. All students may access their final grades and complete grade history via eCommon. This feature requires the student’s ECNet User ID and Password.

Mid-Semester Evaluations. As part of the College advising program, mid-semester grade reports are sent each semester to undergraduate students whose grade falls below a C in any subject. Course warnings do not become part of a student’s permanent record and are intended to encourage students to remedy academic deficiencies at a point in the semester where special attention or tutoring may have a positive effect on final course performance. Students who receive such warnings should meet with their instructor, consult their advisor and, if appropriate, seek help from the Writing and Academic Resource Center. The College does not inform parents of mid-semester grade reports.

Academic Transcripts. A certified, official transcript of a student’s academic record may be ordered online through Interactive Services. Transcripts are normally processed within three days. Transcripts will be released only for students who have no holds. Under no circumstances will telephone or emailed requests be honored. Please consult the Registrar website.

Academic Grievances. Students who wish to make a complaint or grievance regarding any College academic policy should file a petition with the Academic Petitions Committee through the Office of Academic Affairs.

Grievances regarding a grade or other matters in a course should be discussed first with the course instructor. If the student remains dissatisfied, he/she should advance the grievance to the departmental Chair. If the Chair is unable to mediate a resolution, the student should advance the grievance to the Dean of the appropriate school. If the grievance is not resolved after mediation at this level, the student should file a petition with the Academic Petitions Committee in the Office of Academic Affairs.