The Emerson College Library is committed to providing an attractive and supportive environment for study and research. Use of the Library's facilities and resources is at the discretion of Library staff. We ask you to help us in this effort by keeping the following in mind:
- I. Respectful Behavior
- II. Noise & Disturbances
- III. Appropriate Use of Library Materials & Equipment
I. Respectful Behavior
- Be considerate and respectful of others in the Library. The Library is a space for every member of the Emerson College community to work and study.
- Leave study spaces neat and clean and ready for use by other patrons. Take all your belongings with you, put trash in the trash bins provided, turn off desk lamps, and put library books on a reshelving cart.
- Smoking, drug use, and the consumption of alcoholic beverages are strictly forbidden.
- Finish your work, return your Reserve items, and be ready to leave the Library by the posted closing time. The classroom and the study rooms close five minutes before the Library.
- Do not enter areas of the Library restricted to staff members without permission.
- Identify yourself to library staff with a valid College ID when asked.
- Follow the directions of Library staff, especially in emergency situations.
II. Noise & Disturbances
- Respect the quiet study areas (entire West Stacks and 6th floor study carrels). No conversations or other noises are allowed in these areas.
- Use the group study rooms and the large tables in the Presidents Room and near the entrance for group study. Please keep your conversations to a low level, so as not to disturb other users.
- Mute the ringer on your cell phone. Cell phone conversations are not allowed in the quiet study areas.
- Use headphones on any device that produces sound.
- No photography, videotaping, recording, or filming is allowed in the Library without the express permission of the library director.
III. Appropriate Use of Library Materials & Equipment
- Be responsible for all materials borrowed on your card and keep track of them through your “My Account” (online library account). Return all materials, including reserve materials, promptly.
- Do not steal, damage, mutilate, or deface Library materials. Attempted thefts and vandalism will be referred to the Emerson College Police.
- Do not conceal Library materials in the Library for your own exclusive use.
- Do not reshelve books. Leave them to be reshelved by Library staff.
- Do not misuse or monopolize Library computers or equipment.
- Avoid spills by not eating with Library books open and by always keeping drinks in spillproof containers.
Provisions of the College’s Student Code of Conduct are incorporated into this Code by this mention. Violations of this code may result in the following:
- A verbal or written warning from Library staff.
- An Incident Report filed with the Emerson College Police.
- Referral to the Dean of Students for disciplinary proceedings.