Please review the checklist items below to learn about next steps toward joining the Emerson community.

International Student Checklist

Confirm Your Intent to Enroll Online

To confirm your enrollment online, log into the Application Portal and submit your nonrefundable enrollment deposit by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or electronic check.

If you do not intend to enroll at Emerson College, please log into your application portal, and fill out the "Graduate Reply to Offer of Admissions" form to officially decline your admissions offer. 

Create Your Emerson ID and eCommon Account

Once the Office of Graduate Admission receives your enrollment deposit, you will receive an email inviting you to create your Emerson account.

After creating your account, you are provided with an Emerson College network account login or accessing most electronic resources at Emerson College. With your Emerson ID account you can access your Emerson email account, personal web space, the Emerson College wireless network and other services.

Your Emerson Gmail account is the College's official means of communication with you. You can forward your Emerson Gmail to your personal account. You are responsible for checking your account frequently for important reminders and notices from the College.

I-20 Documentation

To study in the United States, all international students must receive the Form I-20, issued by Graduate Admission, which is also known as a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant, F-1 Student Status. We recommend submitting the documents to receive your Form I-20 as soon as possible, as visa processing can take up to three months.

In order for the Graduate Admission Office to issue your Form I-20, you will first need to submit your non-refundable enrollment deposit of $400.00 by the established deadline. Once received, we require the following documents to be uploaded into your Application Portal by June 15:  

  • Official Bank Document, showing the required minimum for your program of study in liquid assets. Please also ensure that the account type (savings, checking or certificate of deposit) is listed on the statement or letter issued by the financial institution (Example of Approved Bank Document). Visit your admissions portal for your program’s figures.
  • Letter of Financial Sponsorship
  • Online Submission of International Student Contact Form
  • Copy of your passport, showing the biographical/identification page

If you are currently studying in the U.S. and have a valid I-20, in addition to the above listed items, you will also need to submit:

  • A copy of your current F-1 student visa
  • Your most recent Form I-94 arrival/departure record (the small white card stapled into your passport or you can access online)
  • A copy of your previous Form I-20 (please include all pages)
  • Check in with your current F-1 school’s P/DSO to ensure that they transfer your current SEVIS record to Emerson College. The SEVIS School Code for Emerson College is BOS214F00128000. (If your school requires a Transfer Request Form)
  • Any other relevant documents (documents related to dependents, proof of health insurance, copy of current lease, etc.)

Once we receive all documents and they have been approved, and your current F-1 school has transferred your account in SEVIS (if applicable) you will receive an email to confirm all information in a draft copy of your Form I-20 and will be asked to confirm your preferred mailing address.

When you receive your Form I-20, you will then need to apply for your F-1 Visa. Please complete the following steps to apply for an F-1 Visa:

  • Pay the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Fee.
  • Gather the necessary documents: Form I-20 or DS-2019, SEVIS I-901 Fee receipt, Emerson College Admission Letter and Proof of Financial Support
  • Apply for a Visa
  • Receive a Visa (Keep the envelope sealed until the student arrives at the U.S. Port of Entry.)

Dependents (if applicable) need to apply for F-2 Visas. Graduate Admissions can assist with this process. Please note that if are bringing dependents, you will need to show proof of an additional $7,875 for a spouse and $3,938 for each child on your bank document.

If you have any questions regarding I-20 documents or the visa process, please gradadmission [at] (contact the Graduate Admission Team).

Sevis Fee

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires all applicants for F-1 student visas and J-1 visas to pay a one-time fee of US$200 before applying for a visa. More details about paying this fee can be found at U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement.

Submit Your Health Forms

To begin classes, students must provide documentation of compliance with all health requirements to the Emerson Wellness Center by July 15 for fall enrollment and January 5 for spring enrollment. The Online Student Health Portal is now live and detailed instructions are available online.


Submit Your Official Final Transcript

We require an international transcript evaluation indicating your college degree and date of conferral, course-by-course evaluation, GPA, and major. In most cases we require a regionally accredited 4-year US bachelor's or equivalent. Your international transcript evaluation will suffice as proof of graduation.

You cannot start classes until we receive this evaluation. The College reserves the right to rescind admission if a final transcript is not received or does not meet minimum requirements.

Recommended Education Credential Services

Send official, signed transcripts to the following address prior to matriculation:

Emerson College Graduate Admission
120 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116

Registration Information


Graduate Program Directors will contact students with specific instructions for registration via email. If you have not heard anything from your Graduate Program Director four weeks before the start of the semester, please let us know by contacting your admission counselor or by gradadmission [at] (sending an email to the Grad Admissions Team).


You can use our Academic Calendar to plan for Orientation, start of classes, bills, and other important dates.


A wealth of information and the answers to many questions regarding course selection and curriculum can be found in the Graduate Catalog.


Entering Communication Disorders students who did not major in Communications Disorders as an undergraduate need to complete six preparatory courses prior to matriculating in our master’s program. If you have not already completed your prerequisite coursework and wish to enroll in any (or all) of the courses this summer, you can do so through Emerson’s Professional Studies and Special Programs department. Review more information on these requirements

Pay Your Tuition

Student Accounts will email account statements in early December for spring students, or in mid-June for fall students. For more information, see the Student Financial Services website. View our Tuition & Expenses section to help you understand and meet the costs associated with an Emerson education.

Secure Off-Campus Housing


Take time to connect with the folks at our Off-Campus Student Services center. They can be a great resource for people who are new to the city of Boston. They have information about housing, roommate matching, public transportation passes, and more.

Connect with Your iGrad Leader

To better assist you with your move to Boston and entrance to Emerson College, iGrad Transition Leaders will be contacting all new international graduate students starting the third week of July. iGrad Leaders are current international students who are here to help new students acclimate to the Boston area, become familiar with what graduate school is like in the U.S., and answer questions about their own experiences at Emerson. 

Search Student Employment Opportunities

Interested in securing an on-campus job? Browse through current job listings available through the Office of Student Employment

Attend Orientation (On-Campus Students)


Graduate Orientation, mandatory for all incoming on-campus graduate students, occurs for both the spring and fall semesters. Online and low-residency students will have separate orientations, and will NOT attend Graduate Orientation. Your Graduate Program Director will reach out to you about orientation details for your specific program. 

On-campus students will receive an invitation via email about Orientation when dates and locations have been confirmed. Attendance is mandatory according to our New Graduate Student Arrival Policy. Schedules and additional information about the events will be posted as they become available. View the Orientation website


We provide several ways for you to get in touch with current students, faculty, Admission staff, and other members of the Emerson community.


If you didn't have a chance to visit campus, we'd be happy to arrange a visit and personalized tour for your program. Please sign up for a visit.


A number of our admitted students have joined the Emerson College Graduate Accepted Students Facebook Group. With more and more students connecting online before they enroll, it is a great resource to meet your future classmates, ask current Emerson students questions, and find your future roommate.

Getting a Social Security Number (Once you reach the U.S.)

Please note that it is not necessary to have a social security number for admission or for obtaining a visa. Please visit the U.S. Government Social Security website.

Other Options


Admitted students who need to request a deferral for a future term may do so by submitting a written gradadmission [at] (request via email) to the Office of Graduate Admission. Deferral requests are reviewed by committee and approval is not guaranteed. If a deferral is granted, students must submit a deposit within two weeks of being notified of the approved deferral in order to secure their space for a future term.


If you do not intend to enroll at Emerson College, please log into your application portal, and fill out the "Graduate Reply to Offer of Admissions" form to officially decline your admissions offer. 

External Links

Full-time Status Requirements

To maintain your F-1 visa, international students must maintain full-time status. Full-time status for graduate students requires you to take at least 8 credits every semester. 

Students earning their degree in a fully online program from their home country (not requiring an F-1 visa) can be part-time or full-time and can take 4-12 credits each semester.

For more information review our International Student Affairs Academic Registration Requirements.