Visit our Campus Amenities page to learn more about the amenities and services available in our residence halls. Below is a handy checklist of what to bring to campus. The following is an extensive, but not all-inclusive, list of items permitted in the residence halls. If you have specific questions about an item, please contact us!
- Extra-long sheets and pillowcases (the mattresses are XL twin 36” x 80”)
- Mattress pad
- Blanket/ comforter
- Bed risers (commercially manufactured only—cinder blocks or bricks are NOT permitted)
- Toilet paper (if you are living in a suite)
- Hand Soap (if you are living in a suite)
- Bath towels and washcloths
- Robe and flip-flops (for the shower)
- Shower caddy, tote, or cosmetic organizer
- Toiletries-soap, shampoo, etc.
- Broom and/or small vacuum
- Paper Towels and napkins
- Cleansers/sponges to clean your dishes (and bathroom if in a suite)
- Laundry detergent, laundry bag or basket
- Quarters for snack machines, the subway, and laundry.
- Storage boxes or bins
- Small fan
- Paper cups, paper plates, etc.
- Postage stamps and stationary
- Desk lamp and light bulbs (UL/FM approved)
- Desk accessories
- Rug (only allowed in buildings without carpet in rooms such as Paramount and 2 Boylston Place)
- Activity equipment (e.g. frisbee, skateboard, etc)
- Small refrigerator (3.1 cubic ft.)
- Small microwave (700 watts)
- Room decorations-posters, pictures, etc. (we highly recommend hanging items with removal tape such as 3M command strips)
- Television (the TV should be internet ready as we have IP TV on campus)
- Ethernet cable (this is optional as not all building have hardwired internet)
- Important documents: passport, health insurance card, etc.
- First aid kit: band aids, pain relievers, cold medicine, etc.
- Seasonal clothing (the weather in Boston changes frequently)
- Single Serving Coffee Makers such as Keurig
What NOT to Bring
Remember you will have limited amount of space in which to live, so think carefully about what you will and will not need! The following is an extensive, but not all inclusive, list of items not permitted in the residence halls. If you have specific questions about an item, please contact Housing and Residence Life.
- Alcohol paraphernalia (funnels, beer pong, etc.)
- Drug paraphernalia (pipes, hookahs, bongs, etc.)
- Items capable of producing an open flame (candles, torches, incense, sterno, refill containers of cigarette lighter fluid, etc.)
- Weapons (firearms, fireworks, nunchakus or karate sticks, switchblades, knives, pistols, mace, pepper spray, guns, ammunition, firecrackers, tear gas, etc.)
- Realistic replicas of dangerous weapons and prop weapons
- Heating elements that gave an exposed hot surface (Sunlamps, heating coils, space heaters, etc.)
- Kitchen appliances that have an exposed hot surface (electric frying pans, hot pots, coffee makers, toasters, toaster ovens, popcorn poppers, rice cookers, crock pots, etc.)
- Dart boards utilizing metal or sharp tips
- Bed Risers taller than 6 inches
- Air conditioners
- Non-College-issued upholstered furniture or window treatments: In accordance with the City of Boston fire code regulations, upholstered furniture and window treatments (such as curtains) are not permitted in College residence halls. (Area rugs not exceeding 20 square feet are permitted on non-carpeted floors)
- Water beds
- Halogen lamps
- Highly combustible items (gasoline, refill containers of cigarette lighter fluid, propane gas, etc.)
- Light strings without a label indicating the product has undergone independent testing by a nationally recognized testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL)
Frequently Asked Packing Questions
Can I bring a microwave and/or refrigerator?
You are permitted to have a refrigerator and microwave as long as they meet the following allowances and restrictions:
- Microwaves up to, but not greater than, 700 watts of cooking power are permitted.
- Refrigerator/freezer combinations no larger than 3.1 cubic feet total are permitted.
Are single-serve coffee makers, such as a Keurig, allowed?
Yes! Single-serve coffee makers are allowed.
What size are the beds at Emerson?
All of our beds are XL Twin (36" x 80").
Can I bring my own furniture?
Due to fire safety concerns, students are not permitted to bring upholstered furniture into the residence halls.
Can I bring curtains and/or tapestries to hang in my room?
All windows are outfitted with window shades. Curtains as well as tapestries and other wall hangings are not permitted.