A “SEVIS Transfer” occurs when a student transfers to another U.S. college or university before completing their Emerson degree, but also if a student completes their Emerson degree (and/or Optional Practical Training) and moves to another institution for continued study to begin another degree program.
If you wish to transfer out before completing your degree at Emerson, you must first initiate a request for Leave of Absence or Withdrawal from the College.
To transfer your active SEVIS record to another U.S. school you must submit a request through Terra Dotta:
- Navigate to the Control Center
- Select the icon for Transfer Out
- Follow the prompts to complete the form
The Transfer Out form will require you to indicate the name and SEVIS school code for the school to which you intend to transfer. You will also be required to upload proof of your admission to the new school and a copy of any transfer form that may be required for your new school.
SEVIS Transfer - Timing Considerations:
The SEVIS transfer release date is the date on which your SEVIS record will close at Emerson and will be accessible to your new school.
- You should request a transfer release date on or after the end of your active enrollment at Emerson – generally after the last date of class for the term, or after the date you end your active OPT employment.
- Your transfer release date must be no later than 60 days after your last enrollment (or end date of OPT, if applicable).
- Your new program start date at your new school must be within 5 months of the student’s last date of enrollment (or end of OPT, if applicable).
- Students participating in OPT should be mindful of the 90 days of authorized unemployment. Students who may exceed the 90 day limit, are advised to consider transferring their SEVIS record to the new school before exceeding the 90 days.
- At your request, OISA would be able to cancel or modify your transfer request until the day before your transfer release date, but not after.
SEVIS Transfer Steps:
Transfer Release: On your transfer release date, your SEVIS record will close at Emerson and will become accessible to your new school. After this date, Emerson will no longer be able to make modifications to your SEVIS record.
Transfer Pending: After the SEVIS release date, your new school will be able to issue your new I-20 reflecting "transfer pending”. Please make certain to obtain your new I-20 for your new school before any international travel as you will need your new I-20 to reenter the U.S.
Transfer Complete: Once you arrive at your new school and enroll in classes, you will need to "complete” your SEVIS transfer by reporting to the international office at your new school no later than 15 days after the program start date listed on your new I-20. It is critical to meet this deadline in order to stay in lawful status.