All new and returning international students will need to complete the International Student “SEVIS Semester Check-In” by submitting an online form via Terra Dotta.
Transfer students must complete Initial Check-in no later than 15 days after the “Program Start Date” listed on the I-20. All other students are asked to complete the Initial SEVIS Check-In or the SEVIS Semester Check-In no later than the deadline to add a class for the semester.
The information collected on the electronic check-in form is required for the Office of International Student Affairs (OISA) to update your F-1 immigration record in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). This information will be reported to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to confirm your arrival and continued study at Emerson College.
All new students (and students beginning a new program of study) have a SEVIS hold on your account. This hold currently does not prevent course registration changes for this semester, but will remain in place until your check in process is complete (form and documents are submitted and checked by your International Student Advisor at OISA).
To complete the check in:
Access your Terra Dotta record as follows:
- Click on the purple “Login” button at the top right hand side of the landing page.
- Select “Log In with Campus ID” and use your Emerson email and password.
- Confirm that your address in the Personal & Program tab is listed accurately. If you live off campus and your address is not correct, then you must update your “U.S. Mailing Address” in Emerson's Self Service (eCommon) system. Address updates reported through Self Service will take a few days to be reflected in the Personal & Program tab. Note: Emerson residence hall addresses will be updated automatically at the beginning of each term.)
- Navigate to the Control Center
- Select the icon for SEVIS Semester Check-In
- Follow the prompts to complete the form
Please complete the check in process as soon as possible at the beginning of each term. Failure to complete check-in by required deadlines may jeopardize your legal status in the US.
If you have any questions about the form or the check-in process, please reach out to the Office of International Student Affairs at oisa [at] emerson.edu.