Off-Campus Student Services is here to support you during this time with information and resources about off campus housing assistance. Please see below.

Moving and Storage

Temporary Housing

You can find temporary housing options via the list we have created.

Avoiding Scams During COVID-19

  • Use the City of Boston’s Rent Smart search engine to look up potential properties and their history
  • See places in person and speak directly over the phone. Consider using They are offering everyone who needs to move a 50% discount on our services during this time. Use code: smart50renter.
  • Never wire money.
  • Be wary of requests for personal information. The government will not call you to request personal information.


Off-Campus Housing and Support Services provides information to Emerson College students, faculty and staff members solely as a courtesy. Emerson College does not endorse any of the services listed. Emerson College accepts no responsibility for the accuracy or reliability of listings with the office. Contact with persons listed herein must be conducted independently and at your own risk.

Frequently Asked Questions

What legislation has been passed to protect tenants in Massachusetts?

The moratorium on evictions has been signed by Governor Baker.

The legislation includes the following provisions:

  • Establishes a moratorium on most residential and commercial evictions within the Commonwealth for the duration of the State of Emergency and 30 days after the State of Emergency ends.
  • Landlords may not charge late fees or send reports to credit rating agencies if a tenant notifies the landlord within 30 days of a late payment that the non-payment of rent is due to a financial impact related to the COVID-19 emergency.
  • Prohibits landlords from sending “notice to quit” letters for the duration of the State of Emergency and 30 days after the State of Emergency is terminated.
  • Establishes a moratorium on foreclosure actions for the duration of the State of Emergency and 30 days after the State of Emergency ends.
  • Emergency evictions may proceed during the moratorium for actions that involve allegations of criminal activity or substantial lease violations that may be detrimental to public health or public safety.

I no longer need my off-campus apartment. How can I get out of my lease?

You will need to speak directly to your landlord/property manager as you are still responsible for your contract through the end date. You may have the option to sublet or terminate your lease early for a fee. Send your lease to ocss [at] (ocss[at]emerson[dot]edu) if you would like us to review it and answer specific questions.

What do I do if I start feeling sick while living off-campus?

Please refer to Emerson College’s COVID-19 resource page for the latest information on COVID-19, including symptoms, spread, risk assessment, and prevention, from federal, state, and local public health agencies.

Off-Campus Housing Database

To sublet a room in an off-campus apartment or to find an apartment unit off campus, use our Off-Campus Housing Database. See login instructions and next steps below.

  1. Click on Sign Up/Log In in the upper right-hand corner of the page to create your account.
  2. Select Emerson College Student, Staff, Faculty.  Login with your Emerson College credentials.

View Apartment and Sublet Listings

Under the Housing tab you can view apartment and sublet listings.  Many listings require a one year lease commitment; however, if you are interested in a shorter renting period, search for Sublet under Listing Type. You may sort listings by distance from campus, newest, and price. View listings on a map or list format.

Find Roommates

Click on the Roommates tab, and make a profile for yourself so other students can contact you if they are interested in living with you. Once your profile is created, you can also search the database for a roommate based on cleanliness, social habits, and more using the many filter options. You have the option to search by students that “Have a Place” available to rent or “Need a Place” which can be very helpful for subletting.

Locate a Realtor

Click the Agent/Broker tab to find a licensed area realtor who will be able to show you available apartments.

Contact Us

We are here to assist you with any questions and throughout your search. Advising and support are available by contacting us at ocss [at] (ocss[at]emerson[dot]edu), or calling 617-824-8484 and leaving a message so we may return your call. Please let us know if you have any other questions or need clarification, as we are here to help.