The Robert Colby Kindness Award
Nominations, Eligibility, & Deadlines
Nominations will be accepted from any member of the Emerson community. Anyone (students, faculty, staff, administration, alumni, parents, Trustees, and Advisors) who has been a part of the Emerson community for at least 2 years is eligible as well as any group composed of eligible individuals. Self nominations are not permitted. The winner receives $400 (less if the award is shared).
Nominations are to be submitted to the committee chair, Sharon Duffy (sharon_duffy [at] emerson.edu (subject: Kindness%20Award) title="Email Sharon Duffy") or her assistant, Katie Delaney (katherine_delaney [at] emerson.edutitle="Email Katie Delaney"). The nomination must include the nominee’s name, role at the college, and contact information. Please also submit a narrative or example of the nominee’s altruism in action. The more detailed the example(s), the better chance your nominee will have of being in contention. Nominations are due by Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
The Robert Colby Kindness Award honors a person or persons who spreads unconditional, unwavering, and selfless kindness among the Emerson community. The Robert Colby Kindness Award recipient(s) should exemplify traits of generosity, teamwork, compassion, and ethics. Winners will be selected by the Spirit of Emerson Committee.
Take a moment to observe your community, appreciate the figures who have supported you along the way, recall your most fond memories at Emerson, and nominate for the 2023 Robert Colby Kindness Award today!
The recipient(s) of this new annual award must represent and emanate most, if not all, of the following criteria:
- Exhibit kindness, which contributes to former President Pelton’s idea of “building community.”
- Demonstrate universal, non-discriminatory kindness.
- Meet the dictionary definition of kindness. For example, the Oxford English Dictionary defines kindness as “the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate.”
- Perform kindness selflessly.
- Live kindness by example.
- Exhibit kindness that goes above and beyond what is expected of them in their job or role in the community.
For questions and nomination submissions contact Katie Delaney at katherine_delaney [at] emerson.edutitle="Email Katie Delaney" or Sharon Duffy at sharon_duffy [at] emerson.edu (subject: Kindness%20Award) title="Email Sharon Duffy"