Meet Your Admission Counselor
|Start Term||Priority Decision*||Rolling Admission Through|
|Spring Term||November 1*||N/A|
|Fall Term||March 1*||June 1|
*Priority Decision Advantages: priority review for admission, first consideration for scholarships and earlier receipt of an admissions decision.
For official term start dates please review our Academic Calendar.
- Online Application
- After submitting your application, you will receive an email with your Admission ID. Please use your username and password to log in and check the status of your application.
- Official Transcripts
- Official transcript requirements
- 3 letters of recommendation
- From persons best able to assess academic and professional qualifications, including motivations and goals.
- Admission Essay: 2-4 pages, double-spaced (500-1,000 words). There is one required essay for this program, which can be submitted online with your application. The prompt for the application is:
- Explain your short-term and long-term professional goals within the publishing industry and how Emerson's graduate program will assist you in achieving these goals? Describe how you would actively contribute to the educational experience and what potential areas of work you see yourself doing upon graduation. Be sure to note any relevant work and educational experiences. Additionally, if you are interested in a specific area within the publishing industry (trade publishing, educational publishing, magazine publishing, digital publishing, self-publishing, etc), please indicate in your essay.
- Sample of Work: Choose one of the following options
- Writing Samples: 5 pages maximum, double spaced, nonfiction prose. This may be published or unpublished material. The sample could include work done for student publications, but should not include academic papers.
- Portfolio: 5 pages maximum, plus a cover page explaining the applicant’s contribution to the work shown. Portfolios may include, for example, editing work, design, layout, or social media content and strategy.
- Essay Question: 5 pages, double spaced. You may submit a response to one of the essay questions below:
- Tell us about a magazine, a nonfiction book, or an online publication you admire. What makes this work a publishing success?
- Tell us about a magazine or book publisher (publishing company) you admire. What is it about its publications that constitute "success"?
- Include your professional and educational history.
- English Proficiency: Applicants whose native language is not English must provide evidence of English proficiency by submitting official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, or Pearson test results.
- This program supports the issuance of an I-20 for the full duration of the on-campus portion of the program to learn more about applying for an I-20 you can preview the information here. No documentation is required until after you have been admitted.
- International Student Checklist
Request More Information