Letter to New Students
Dear New Student,
Welcome to Emerson College! We are delighted that you will be joining us as a new student this Fall. This packet provides information that will help prepare you for your first year at Emerson. One of your first Emerson experiences will be New Student Orientation.
The Undergraduate New Student Orientation program is a week-long series of events which aims to welcome new students into the Emerson community and establish their sense of confidence and system of support. The Orientation Program is designed by six Undergraduate Students (Orientation Coordinators) who are advised by the staff in the Office of Student Transitions and Family Programs and a planning committee of Emerson staff members. The program is backed by over 100 inspiring Orientation Leaders (or “OLs”) who have been trained to help guide new students into our community. This team, along with our many campus partners, are currently working to plan this year’s unique program.
Emerson students are storytellers, creators, and change-makers, which is why The Orientation Team is very excited to announce the theme of the 2021 Orientation program, Write Your Story, Make Your Mark. As an Emersonian, you will make your mark, not only on this campus, but on the world. Your Emerson story begins with Orientation, so what do you want to write in chapter one?
In the enclosed packet, you will find some helpful materials that will prepare you for Orientation and your arrival to campus in August. This includes:
- A campus map
- A tentative Orientation Schedule
- A packing list and arrival tips
- Orientation Team contact information (including Slack, Instagram and TikTok!)
- A letter to Parents and Families
- An incoming student checklist
- Mailing and shipping information
- Immunization information
During the next several weeks, it is important to complete the incoming student checklist on the Admission portal and stay up to date by setting up and checking your Emerson email frequently and by joining the Orientation Slack. The Orientation Team is looking forward to meeting you in August and we hope you are excited to get to know us, the College, other students, and yourselves! Be on the lookout for more communication from our team as the summer progresses, but for now, enjoy your summer and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Love in Orientation (LIO)
- Lee Forrest ‘22, Orientation Coordinator
- Niki Hester ‘21, Orientation Coordinator
- Mary Kuczkowski ‘22, Orientation Coordinator
- Omar Mardini ‘21, Orientation Coordinator
- Cassidy Mulligan ‘21, Orientation Coordinator
- Melanie Shepard ‘22, Orientation Coordinator
- Maureen Hurley, Director of Student Transitions and Family Programs
- David Todd, Associate Director of Student Transitions
- Desiree Bradford, Assistant Director of Student Transitions
If you have general questions, please email us at orientation [at] emerson.edutitle="Email the Orientation Team" or leave a voicemail on the Orientation Hotline at 617-824-8638. The Orientation Team is happy to answer any and all questions. Please do not hesitate to reach out!