Emerson students will live in a modern, well-equipped student residence hall called Galileo Galilei located on the Valencia Polytechnic University campus. The property is centrally located, just two miles from the Berklee campus. The residence hall is a 15 minute bus ride to the Berklee Valencia campus, or the city center. It’s a 15 minute bike ride or 30-40 minute walk to campus. The beach is a 10-15 minute walk from the residence hall.
Study abroad students are required to stay in housing arranged by Berklee.
Living together as a cohort of students provides a safe and comfortable environment while abroad.
Several months before the program begins, students will be asked to submit their housing preferences, including preferred room type (single or double) and roommate (if applicable). Submitting your housing preferences is not a guarantee that you will be assigned your preferred housing option. Once assignments are made, changes may be considered on a case-by-case basis and cannot be guaranteed.
Your housing reservation will be made by Berklee, so you should not contact the residence to reserve a place.
Students have access to many services at the residence, including:
- 24/7 concierge
- High-speed broadband Wi-Fi
- Exterior swimming pool
- Two rooftop sun terraces
- Outdoor courtyard
- Private fitness suite
- Bicycle storage
- Dinner party room
- Library & private study room
- Games room
- On-site cinema
- Laundry room
- Music rooms
- Calendar of events and activities
Residence Hall Services
- Personal Laundry Service - Students can hire weekly laundry service, up to 6 kg, including ironing for €60.50 per month.
- Self Service Laundry - Washing machines cost €4 and dryers €2 per cycle.
- Small fridge rental - €11/month
- 19" T.V. rental - €11/month
The costs of meals are not included in the program. Students are NOT required to purchase a meal plan. Valencia is filled with many inexpensive and highly rated restaurants, so students have many choices for meals. If students decide they would rather purchase their own meals there are quite a variety of inexpensive restaurants to choose from.
Purchase Your Own Meals
- The Berklee Valencia campus has a cantina where students can buy breakfast or lunch.
- A one plate lunch at the Berklee Cantina is €3 and if you want a full meal (a couple of plates, coffee, drink and dessert it's around €6).
- A full course meal at a restaurant in Valencia is about €15
Optional Meal Plan
Once accepted to the program, students will have the option to sign up for one of several monthly meal plans offered by the Residence Hall student canteen. The self-service canteen is open 7 days a week.
- A 2 meals per day plan (breakfast plus either lunch or dinner) runs €180 (approximately $230 per month)
- NOTE: Breakfast is mostly pastries.
- Full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner) is €300 (approximately $400 per month)
- Extra canteen services: Breakfast €3, Lunch €6, Dinner €6
Weather and Packing
August is generally the warmest month in Valencia. You can expect, on average, temperatures between 27 ºC - 30 ºC (84 °F) during the day and 22 °C (72 °F) in the evenings, with mild humidity. However, like other Mediterranean coastal cities, Valencia is comfortable as there is always a local sea breeze.
Usually autumn is the season with mild and comfortable temperatures. September averages between 26–27 °C (79–81 °F) during the day and 18–19 °C (64–66 °F) at night. Throughout the season, September through December, Valencia receives plenty of days when it rains for a short period of time. October and November is very pleasant with daytime temps in the 60 °F range and evenings around 52 °F at night. Students will need a sweater or light jacket for the end of term.
Spring is a wonderful time to be in Valencia. The winter months, December, January and February are the coldest months, with average temperatures around 16 °C (62 °F) during the day and 7 °C (45 °F) at night. There will be a dozen or so days in the winter where the temperature exceeds 20 °C (68 °F). Spring months bring blue skies, mild weather, and sea breezes.
Check World Weather Information Service for temperature averages across Europe. Use this service to aid in packing.