Skip to Main Content
Things to Know in an Emergency
View or download PDF
Know Your Surroundings
- Exit Routes: Identify at least two exit routes from your floor.
- Emergency Meeting Locations: Know where to go outside of the building after an evacuation.
- Automated External Defibrillators (AED): Know where the nearest AED is located on your floor or building.
- First Aid Kit: Know where to find the nearest first aid kit and know what is in the kit.
- Shelter in Place: Know where you will go in your building to shelter in place.
Know How to Be Notified
- Emerson Alert: Update your contact information at emerson.edu/emersonalert.
- Fire Alarms: Know where the fire alarms are located on your floor.
- emerson.edu/emergency: Go to the emergency page to receive status updates during an emergency.
- Emerson College LiveSafe App (Coming soon): Download the LiveSafe App and access safety and emergency preparedness resources.
Know How to Get Help
- Dial 911 for all fire and medical emergencies. For all other emergencies, call the Emerson College Police Department (ECPD) at 617-824-8888 or 8888. When calling 911 or ECPD, remember to:
- Stay calm;
- Give your name, address, and nature of the emergency;
- Stay on the line until you're told to hang up; and
- Answer questions as clearly as possible.
Know How to Respond
Know How to Evacuate
- Walk to the stairwell exits; DO NOT TAKE THE ELEVATORS.
- Close the doors as you exit.
- Assist others if necessary.
- Go to the building/floor emergency meeting site.
- Don't waste time gathering belongings.
Know How to Shelter in Place
- Get indoors and go to the nearest room or office.
- Lock all the doors and windows.
- Seek protective cover if instructed to do so.
- Stay inside until informed that it's safe to go outside.
Know Your Emergency Contacts
- Spouse/significant other
- RA/RD, Roommate
- Out-of-town contacts
- Know how our department will communicate with you in an emergency
- Regularly review and update your emergency contact information to make sure all information is up to date.
Know How to Stay Informed
- Emerson Alerts
- Go to emerson.edu/emergency for updates on an emergency situation.
- Emerson College Main Phone Line: 617-824-8500, select Option 2 for information on closings
- Emerson College LiveSafe App (Coming soon): Download the LiveSafe App
- Emerson Native App: Download the Emerson College App to receive Emerson Alert notifications
- Emerson College Social Media Accounts: Facebook and Twitter
- Radio: WRKO 680 AM, WBZ 1030 AM, WERS 88.9 FM
- TV: WBZ Channel 4, WCVB Channel 5, WHDH Channel 7, WFXT Channel 25