Important Notice: Before You Update Your Name with the College

If you ever wish to connect in person about this process or anything else, contact us at intercultural [at] (intercultural[at]emerson[dot]edu).

Emerson recognizes that transgender, non-binary, and gender nonconforming students may not use the name that they were assigned at birth, as it does not reflect their identity. We also recognize that for a variety of reasons students may not wish to go through a legal name change or may be in the middle of doing so, but wish to have their records reflect their chosen name before the process is complete.

Selecting a New Name

In addition to your legal name, Emerson maintains an optional preferred first name (also known as your updated name). You can update your first name, preferred pronoun, or gender identity under General Self Service > Personal Information.

Faculty and Staff must update their names in Workday.


Note: Without a court documented legal name change, ONLY first names may be updated. 

Legal Name: Joseph Doe
Preferred Name: Jennifer Doe

Name Updates That Do NOT Require Legal Documentation

Go to General Self Service > Personal Information and note the following:

  • For verification purposes, all correspondence about your name update request will be made via your current email account.
  • Mail sent to your home address will typically use your updated name; please keep this in mind when determining if it is safe for you to update your name with the College.
  • Your legal name will still be used for such items as a transcript and anywhere else that your legal name is required, including but not limited to insurance claims, medical records, immigration information, tax forms and loan documents. Visit this table to learn where you should expect to see your legal name or preferred name (updated name).
  • Your legal name does NOT have to appear on your diploma or be called as you cross the stage at graduation. In your final semester you will receive a Declaration of Intent to Graduate form where you may designate your name as you would like for it to appear on your diploma.
  • Emerson College transcripts and diplomas do NOT specifically reference gender.
  • We are working to include pronouns where helpful, but we do not have the capability at this time.
  • To receive an updated Emerson Identification (EID) at no cost, you will have to turn in your current EID; the ID Office is located on the first floor of Piano Row in the near the Piano Row laundry room. Note: The first reprint of an ID Card, requesting a name update, will be free of charge for Students, Faculty and Staff. There will be a $25.00 reprint fee associated with any additional name update requests. Legal name changes will continue to be free of charge.
  • If you ever wish to connect in person about this process or anything else, contact us at intercultural [at] (subject: Name%20Update%20Process%20Support) (intercultural[at]emerson[dot]edu).


Legal Name Change

If you have legally changed your name or gender and wish to update it with the College, visit the Registrar's Changing your Personal Information page and complete the Request for Name/Gender Change Form. You must provide court documents to update your last name and your gender.