While Emerson students are able to use a preferred name (updated name) for many functions, most immigration systems (including SEVIS) and legal documents require you to use the full legal name reflected on your passport.

As an international student, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:

SEVIS Name Standards

In order to document your legal status in the U.S. it is important for the name on your SEVIS record to match the spelling and order of your full legal name as it appears on your passport. DHS outlines names standards that schools must use when entering a name into SEVIS.

Please see: SEVIS Name Standards

Emerson Legal Name

The “Legal Name” reflected in Emerson systems must match your passport name and follow the SEVIS naming standards above.

U.S. Government Documents

All other U.S. government documents should be consistent with your passport (including your visa, I-94 admissions record, I-20 document and SEVIS record, Social Security Number, State Drivers’ License.) This is true even if you have legally changed your name and have a valid marriage certificate and court document. If you wish to change your name on government documents, you should begin by first updating the name on your passport – either in your home country, or at your home country consulate or embassy in the U.S.

Emerson Name Standards

The Emerson policy and process for Changing your Personal Information allows you to update college systems to ensure that you can use your college recognized name and preferred name in many campus systems.

Emerson Diploma Name

Emerson also allows you to choose your “Diploma Name.” Keep in mind that U.S. diplomas are often required as part of the process to apply for work visas in the U.S. While this name field does not legally have to match other government documents, it may be pragmatic to use a consistent legal name.