Emerson College is committed to developing and delivering best practices to support the emotional health and well-being of our students.
In December of 2016, the College partnered with The JED Campus Program, a nationwide initiative of the JED Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to improving and building upon existing student mental health, substance abuse and suicide prevention efforts.
The following timeline outlines updates and initiatives.
- January 25, 2019 – JED leadership team conference call with Diana Cusamano to review process, strategic plan and provide updates from each of the subcommittees. Work began on the JED website, jed [at] emerson.edu (email established)title="Email the JED Campus Program", JED Campus Calendar launched.
- March 12, 2019 – President Pelton notifies the campus of the JED Campus program and efforts.
- March 21, 2019 – Members of the JED Campus Team participated in Communication Days as panelists on "Self Care and Care for Others" Emerson Counseling and Psychological Services (ECAPS), Student Accessibility Services (SAS), and Office of Student Success representatives will be available to talk about stress, classes, and anything related to taking care of oneself, and helping others take care of themselves.
- April 8, 2019 – Jed Workgroup met to review strategic plan and report progress.
- May 23, 2019 – Members of Jed Workgroup and Jed Campus Team came together to deep dive into the Healthy Minds Survey Data. Requests for this data may be sent jed [at] emerson.edu (here)title="Email the JED Campus Program".
- July 12, 2019 – Emerson College Medication Disposal Program announced and launched.
- July 16, 2019 – Emerson College ECAPS is recognized by JED and Everfi for "Excellence in Action" for their Transgender and Non-Binary Resources website during a nation-wide webinar entitled, "Supporting the Mental Health of Underserved Students."
- January 2018 – Hosted a 2 day onsite review/visit by JED Campus Administers
- March 2018 – Executive Summary and Recommended Strategic Plan received from JED Campus
- April 9, 2018 – Jed workgroup assembles to develop subcommittee structures and membership and review recommended strategic plan
- Spring 2018 – Sponsored the Healthy Minds Study: 1387 students participated with a response rate of 34.32%
- August, 2018 – Care Out Loud Campaign introduced to the campus
- November 19, 2018 – Jed Workgroup assembles to discuss subcommittee progress and challenges: a preliminary review of the Health Minds Survey data results;
- Fall 2017 – Created subcommittees to focus on the strategic plan initiatives: Training, Campus Culture, Communication, AOD Task Force,Equity in Mental Health, Policy & Environment
- October 24, 2017 – JED Workgroup assembles to discuss self assessment timeline and health minds survey marketing strategy
- December 2016 – with the encouragement of President Pelton - applied for and received a grant from the Hillman Family to offset expense of participation in JED Campus & Healthy Minds Study.
- December 2016 – Emerson initiated the process to become a recognized JED campus We formed an integrated JED Work Group, comprised of students, faculty, and members of the President's Cabinet.