Q: How will dropping a course affect my VA benefits?

A: You will need to ask the VA directly. They can be reached at 1-888-442-4551.

Q: Will my VA educational benefits affect how much financial aid I receive?

A: Yes. As your VA educational benefits are a resource to help you afford school, they will be considered in determining how much financial aid you will receive.

Q: How much eligibility do I have left?

A: Emerson College cannot ascertain how much eligibility you have left. Students must contact the VA for this information at 1-888-442-4551.

Q: What happens if I fail a class or get an incomplete?

A: If you receive Chapter 33 benefits and fail a course you will not owe money back to the VA. If you have an incomplete grade, you have one year to complete the course or you may owe a portion of your benefits back to the VA.

If you receive Chapter 35 benefits, a grade of F or an incomplete may affect your benefits and result in owing a portion of your award back to the VA.

If you receive Chapter 31 benefits, you should contact your case worker for more information.

Q: What if I am called to active duty service?

A: Students called to active duty in the armed forces of the United States should initiate a military withdrawal from Emerson College by presenting an official copy of their military orders to the Registrar.  This must be done at the time a student is required to stop attending classes.  Students who are called to active duty during a semester or session and process a military withdrawal will not be charged tuition for the semester of withdrawal and will be eligible for "military reinstatement" to Emerson College and access to the same major at the time of withdrawal.

The Office of Financial Aid will review eligibility for aid funds received by the student.  Students will be evaluated and advised on the status of their financial aid based on the date of their withdrawal.  Students will also be advised of actions required to defer loan(s) repayments based on active military duty. 

Students with a "military withdrawal" will not be charged tuition for the semester of withdrawal.  They will be charged a housing assessment to cover expenses already incurred.  Unused meal plan monies will be refunded.  No refunds can be made until the Registrar has received a copy of the military orders calling the student to active duty.

Q: How do I get reinstated after serving on active duty?

Students whose absence from the College results from being called to active duty for more than 30 days will be reinstated to the College with the same academic status if: (1) they provide notice of such service, and other documentation required by law, to either the Registrar or Associate Vice President for Enrollment; (2) within three years of their completion of service (or within two years after any period necessary to recover from an injury incurred or aggravated during such service) they notify the appropriate administrator in writing of their intent to return; (3) the cumulative length of all absences from the College for service in the armed forces of the United States does not exceed five years; and (4) the student has not attended another college/university during the period of "military withdrawal".

Q: How can I connect with other veterans or veteran dependents at Emerson?

A: The quickest way to gain access to our growing community of veterans and veteran dependents is through being invited to our Facebook group. If you have not yet been invited, please email veterans [at] emerson.edu (veterans[at]emerson[dot]edu) and we will extend an invitation to you as soon as possible.

Q: What if I have other questions that aren’t covered here?

A: Please email veterans [at] emerson.edu (veterans[at]emerson[dot]edu) with any further questions or contact the appropriate staff member listed on our Contact page.