Emerson LA Transitional Services is focused on helping Emersonians with their transition to living and working in Los Angeles. Staff are available to assist currently-enrolled ELA students, Los Angeles-based alumni, and non-ELA students interested in relocating to Los Angeles. Support is provided in a variety of ways including one-one-one appointments, classroom-based presentations, and programs geared toward helping students and recent graduates kick-start their careers in Los Angeles. Transitional Services also builds relationships with Los Angeles-based employers and industry contacts to help support Emersonians’ career goals.
Laura Daroca, Associate Director of Student & Alumni Transitional Services
laura_daroca [at] emerson.edutitle="Email Laura Daroca"
Kerri McManus, Emerson LA Life Coach
ela_lifecoach [at] emerson.edutitle="Email Kerri McManus"
Make an appointment with Laura Daroca, Associate Director of Student & Alumni Transitional Services, to discuss: career planning, resources to help with your job search, resume and cover letter reviews, job and informational interviewing strategies, making connections within the alumni community, and Los Angeles apartment hunting resources.
Make an appointment with Kerri McManus, Emerson LA’s certified life coach. Coaching sessions cover topics such as navigating any transition in your life, whether it be from school to the professional realm, moving to a new city, or discovering your own agency in a time of uncertainty.
Looking to hire an Emersonian? Visit our Employers and Industry Professionals page for complete details.
Programs and Events
Programs and events focused on helping students and recent graduates kick-start their careers and lives in Los Angeles are hosted throughout the year including:
- Emerson LA Career Advisory Network: a unique opportunity for currently enrolled ELA students to build personal connections within the Los Angeles alumni network to better prepare you for your career beyond Emerson LA.
- Hollywood Assistant Training Workshop
- Production Assistant Workshop
- Breaking into the Writers’ Room
- LA Apartment Hunting Workshop
Are there programs you’d like to see? laura_daroca [at] emerson.edu (Let us know!)title="Email Laura Daroca"
Here is a list of top resources provided by ELA Transitional Services and Boston campus partners to help with your transition to living and working in Los Angeles:
- Los Angeles Industry Jobs List Sign up to receive a bi-weekly email of available jobs in the Los Angeles area.
- ELA Transitional Services Career Resources & Industry Links Our comprehensive career guide.
- Handshake Emerson’s online platform for career opportunities for students and alumni.
- Emerge Emerson's online platform that’s designed exclusively for Emersonians to meet new people, ask for and offer advice, post career opportunities, and connect with friends.
- Jobs for Emerson College Alumni Facebook Group
- Los Angeles Housing Guide Check out these top resources to help with your LA housing search.
- Industry Career Guides View these to access helpful tips and resources for starting out in your chosen career field.
- Talent Agency Guide For those planning to start their career at a talent agency.
- Temp Agency Guide Pursuing work a staffing agency is a great way to start your career by getting your foot in the door and making industry connections that could lead to full time work.
- Emerson LA Alumni Network Facebook Group Start tapping into the LA alumni community.
- Emerson College Alumni Association LinkedIn Group
- How-to Guide for Contacting Emerson Alumni A step-by-step guide for locating and contacting Emerson Alumni through online resources.
- Informational Interviewing Guide A helpful resource for what to do when you set up a “coffee meeting” or phone call with an alum or industry contact.