As a faculty member, you are instrumental in each student’s academic and professional development.
Advising and mentorship is an important dimension of teaching at Emerson. Like teaching styles, advising styles vary. Regardless of individual style, effective faculty advisors:
- Encourage exploration of intellectual and professional opportunities
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in students and are available when needed
- Clearly and accurately communicate about programs, requirements, and campus resources, making referrals when appropriate
Collaborate with Us
We invite you to collaborate with us to give our students a great advising experience and meet your department’s advising goals. We offer the following resources to support faculty advisors:
- Access our Faculty Advising Toolkit for helpful guides and handouts you can share with your advisees
- Sign up for a one-on-one advising refresher training with our faculty liaison
- Review our common advising topics and common referrals for information frequently asked about in student meetings
- Visit us on the 4th floor of Ansin or call us at 617-824-7876 with any questions you have—we’re always here to help!