Students are selected by random lottery for fall and spring semesters and must apply one year in advance of study. This means that incoming first-year students should apply to the program during their first semester at Emerson in order to be able to attend the program in the fall or spring term of their sophomore year. Juniors and seniors who apply must be able to maintain a 16-credit course load. The course offerings at the castle are geared toward sophomores because the program primarily offers General Education Curriculum courses. However, major specific courses are also offered.
How to Apply
Students must apply one year in advance of study at Kasteel Well.
- The application deadline for both Fall 2024 and Spring 2025 will be midnight on Monday, November 15, 2023. Kasteel Well is not open to graduate students.
- Participants are chosen by random lottery within each department to maintain appropriate representation from each department.
- Honors Students: Honors students are selected by random lottery in a separate applicant pool. Honors students are strongly encouraged to attend in the fall of their sophomore year when the Sophomore Honors Seminar is offered at the castle, but spring is also a possibility.
- Acceptance decisions will be released as soon as possible after the application deadline on a space available basis.
- Applicants may apply for only one term: Applying for both fall and spring at the same time is not an option. Make certain you apply for the correct term, as changing terms at a later date will put you at the bottom of the waitlist for that term.
- Musical Theatre majors: You may only apply to the Kasteel Well Summer Programs.
- Qualifications: Students must be in good academic standing with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher and have no social sanctions against them.
- New First-Year students: The system will automatically upload your academic information.
- Juniors and Seniors: Juniors and seniors are eligible to attend the program and are encouraged to apply. However, you should be aware that many of the classes offered are 200 and 300-level general education courses. Please discuss this option with your academic advisor to ensure that your degree requirements will be met.
- Program Deposit: Upon approval to attend, a nonrefundable and nontransferable program deposit of $300 is required. Spaces are not held for applicants, even approved applicants, without a confirmation deposit.
- Room and Board: Housing is mandatory. Students are housed in single, double, triple, and quad rooms. Rooms are assigned according to seniority. There is also a mandatory meal plan.
Due to the fact that the castle program is kept within the allowable 90 day period, participants are not required to obtain student visas. However, unless you are a citizen of either North America (Canada, Mexico, United States) or a Schengen country, you may be required to obtain a Schengen Visa. All international applicants should contact the Office of Education Abroad and Domestic Programs or the Dutch Consulate in their home country for further information.
Kasteel Well Travel Package
Included in the Kasteel Well Travel Package
- Round trip airfare: Boston/Amsterdam group flight
- Arrival and departure (group) ground transportation between Schiphol Airport and Kasteel Well if you are on the group flight or meet the group at the airport
- One way transportation to the required group excursion cities (NOT round trip)
- Excursion city hotel accommodations and meals on group excursions
- Admission for group tours, lectures, and visits to various museums and other events planned during group excursions
- Third party liability insurance that covers the student’s personal liability for damage, loss of property, injury, or death caused or inflicted while participating in the Kasteel Well Program.
Not Included in the Kasteel Well Travel Package
- One-way return travel costs back to the vastle (or other destination) after the group excursion ends
- Cost of a cell phone while abroad
Additional Spending Money Needed
Most students said they needed about €200 per weekend for spending money (not including travel costs). Some students will spend more money, some will spend less; the amount you need depends on your personal travel style, how many weekends you travel away from the castle and how much shopping you do.
Cell Phone: For safety purposes, all castle students are now required to carry a mobile phone that functions in Europe.
Health Insurance Coverage in Europe: Participants in the Kasteel Well Program must have an insurance plan that provides coverage outside of the United States. Please visit the Health Insurance Requirements section to view mandatory insurance coverage requirements for castle students.
For additional information, call 617-824-8567 or email castle [at] emerson.edutitle="Email the Castle".