Emerson is providing this information based on its current plans and in accordance with health and safety information currently available. Emerson may, in its discretion, or under direction of government or health authorities, change plans regarding modalities of courses or activities, and physical access to any facilities.
Students entering grades 11 and 12 during the 2023-2024 academic year and who are between the ages of 16 and 18 as of July 4, 2023 and who have the desire and maturity to receive constructive criticism about their work and give helpful feedback to others during the program are encouraged to apply.
Each candidate for the Acting Studio Program must submit the required online application, a non-refundable $60 application fee, and the following documents:
- Electronic audition submission. Please read the electronic audition submission requirements below.
- Student Statement of Purpose: In one or two pages, please describe:
- What do you hope to achieve during the Pre-College Program?
- Essay: In one or two thoughtful pages, please describe both your strengths and weaknesses as an actor and a creative person. Then, what do you imagine yourself learning and exploring in the Acting studio, and what do you hope to have discovered by the end of the program?
- Teacher Recommendation: Please submit at least one recommendation, completed by a teacher who knows your work. If possible, the teacher should know your work in the field to which you are applying.
- Headshot: If you do not have a headshot, a high-quality photo of your head and shoulders is acceptable.
- Résumé of your theatrical experience.
Applicants to the Acting Studio Credit Option must also submit
- Transcript: Official secondary school transcripts are required.
- Submissions of official PSAT, SAT or ACT test scores are optional.
Electronic Audition Submission Requirements
All applicants to the Acting Studio program must submit an electronic audition via YouTube or Vimeo. Please include the URL (webpage address) to your audition in your application, and strictly adhere to the following requirements:
- Do submit an audition consisting of two 1–3 minute, contrasting monologues from two contemporary plays (1950–present), one of which must be comedic.
- Do make sure the sound quality and lighting are good and the shot is at least from the waist up.
- Do state your name, hometown, high school, class standing and title of the selection into the camera.
- Do remember, in any audition situation, always try to show what you CAN do, not what you CAN'T do.
- Do not be concerned with "acting" your material; those evaluating you are far more interested in seeing who YOU are. Choose material that speaks to you and shows us something about yourself.
- DO NOT use existing video from plays or productions in which you performed.
- DO NOT forget to send us the link to your audition.
International Student Applicants
Visit international student information to learn about additional required application materials and find out more about applying to pre-college programs.
Applications are open for Summer 2023. We will accept applications through March 15, 2023. If you have any questions, reach out to precollege [at] emerson.edutitle="Email PreCollege at Emerson".
Admission to Emerson College's Arts and Communication Pre-College Programs is on a rolling basis. We suggest applying early, as space is limited. Admission decisions are made frequently.