Emerson is providing this information based on its current plans and in accordance with health and safety information currently available. Emerson may, in its discretion, or under direction of government or health authorities, change plans regarding modalities of courses or activities, and physical access to any facilities.
Students entering grades 10, 11, and 12 during the 2023-2024 academic year, who have the desire and maturity to receive constructive criticism about their work and give helpful feedback to others during the program are encouraged to apply. The program is designed for students who want intensive training in creative writing, have respect for the writing process, and understand how to manage their time and complete assignments both in and out of the classroom.
Each candidate for the Creative Writers Workshop Program must submit the required online application, a non-refundable $60 application fee, and the following documents:
- Student Statement of Purpose: In one or two pages, please describe:
- 1) What do you hope to achieve during the studio program?
- 2) An event that you feel has prepared you for the pre-college program.
- In your statement, please indicate which Fundamentals, Elective, and Breakout sessions courses you would like to take.
- Essay: In one or two pages, discuss a book and/or writer that you believe has most influenced or inspired you and your work.
- Teacher Recommendation: Please submit at least one recommendation, completed by a teacher who knows your work. If possible, the teacher should know your work in the field to which you are applying.
- Creative Writing Samples: Submit one of the following creative writing samples that best illustrates your interests and writing ability. Write your name on each page and submit no more than 10 pages:
- Prose of either fiction or nonfiction (two to five pages, double-spaced)
- Two to four poems, single-spaced
- Mixed samples of both fiction and poetry.
- Transcript: Official secondary school transcripts are required.
- Submissions of official PSAT, SAT or ACT test scores are optional.
International Student Applicants
Visit international student information to learn about additional required application materials and find out more about applying to pre-college programs.
Applications will be open in November/ December 2023. We will accept applications through February 15, 2024 to ensure enough time for students to apply for and receive their F-1 Visa.
Admission to Emerson College's Arts and Communication Pre-College Programs is on a rolling basis. We suggest applying early, as space is limited. Admission decisions are made frequently.