Emerson is providing this information based on its current plans and in accordance with health and safety information currently available. Emerson may, in its discretion, or under direction of government or health authorities, change plans regarding modalities of courses or activities, and physical access to any facilities.
Students entering grades 11 and 12 during the 2023-2024 academic year and who are between the ages of 16 and 18 as of July 4, 2024 and who have the desire and maturity to receive constructive criticism about their work and give helpful feedback to others during the program are encouraged to apply.
Each candidate for the Musical Theatre Studio Program must submit the required online application, a non-refundable $60 application fee, and the following documents:
- Electronic audition submission. Please read the electronic audition submission requirements below.
- Student Statement of Purpose: In one or two pages, please describe:
- What do you hope to achieve during the Pre-College Program?
- An event you feel has prepared you for Emerson's Pre-College experience.
- Essay: In one or two pages, discuss a musical theater production and/or artist that you believe has most influenced or inspired your stage work.
- Teacher Recommendation: Please submit at least one recommendation, completed by a teacher who knows your work. If possible, the teacher should know your work in the field to which you are applying.
- Headshot: If you do not have a headshot, a high-quality photo of your head and shoulders is acceptable.
- Résumé of your theatrical experience.
- Transcript: Official secondary school transcripts are required.
- Submissions of official PSAT, SAT or ACT test scores are optional.
Electronic Audition Submission Requirements
All applicants to the Musical Theatre Studio program must submit an electronic audition via YouTube or Vimeo. Please include the URL (webpage address) to your audition in your application, and strictly adhere to the following requirements:
- Do submit an audition consisting of one-song. The song must be: 2 minutes-or-less, from the Broadway Musical Theatre canon of any era, age-range appropriate, ballad or up-tempo. Do not worry about showing extremes in your range – let the song sit comfortably in the voice.
- Do Not be concerned with "acting" your material; those evaluating you are far more interested in your natural comportment as well as the quality and potential of your vocal instrument.
- Do use live or taped accompaniment. A cappella is not acceptable.
- Do make sure the sound quality and lighting are good and the shot is at least from the waist up.
- Do state your name, hometown, high school, class standing and title of the selection into the camera.
- Do remember, in any audition situation, always try to show what you CAN do, not trying to impress with things that push or are outside your instrument’s capabilities.
- DO NOT use video from musical productions in which you performed.
- DO NOT forget to send us the link to your audition
International Student Applicants
Visit international student information to learn about additional required application materials and find out more about applying to pre-college programs.
Applications will be open in November/ December 2023. We will accept applications through February 15, 2024 to ensure enough time for students to apply for and receive their F-1 Visa.
Admission to Emerson College's Arts and Communication Pre-College Programs is on a rolling basis. We suggest applying early, as space is limited. Admission decisions are made frequently.