Accessible professional staff members design and deliver diverse wellness programming, provide health consultations, and serve as referral sources on vital student health issues.
Wellness and Health Promotion works to empower students to make informed decisions by providing the campus community with accessible, accurate health information and compassionate services that foster personal health, academic success, and community wellness.
We believe students are adults who can and will make their own decisions regarding their health. Given that understanding, we strive to create an environment in which students feel listened to and respected when discussing their health needs.
Identity focuses on understanding of oneself and how one’s background plays into their life.
Relationships focus on healthy connection with others and a sense of belonging.
Expression focuses on sharing your passions, emotions and thoughts often in artistic ways.
Emotion focuses on one’s feelings, mental health, healthy coping skills and having positive self-regard.
Spirituality focuses on the recognition of a feeling or sense or belief that there is something greater than ourselves.
Rest focuses on pausing action, motion, work or performance to rejuvenate oneself.
Learning focuses on engaging the mind, continually developing and applying knowledge everyday.
Finance focuses on economic stability, money management and making informed financial decisions.
Movement focuses on changing position or place to strengthen one’s body and mind.
Career focuses on practicing skills used in one’s professional journey.
Physical Being focuses on illness prevention and management through improving sleep, nutrition, sexual practices and of other areas of physical health.
Community focuses on one’s environment and positive relationships to people and places.
- Wellness Appointments: Individual appointments to speak with a health educator to discuss issues or questions related to sexual health, alcohol and other drugs, stress management, and relaxation, etc. Call us at 617-824-8597 to make an appointment.
- Wellness and Health Promotion Programming: Activities and events designed to share health information, promote self-care, resources and teach important skills to stay well at Emerson and in life. If you'd like to work with Wellness and Health Promotion on a presentation or workshop, please fill out the Wellness Program Request Form and a staff member will contact you. Staff usually require at least two weeks' notice to plan events and a month's notice to accommodate presentations after 5:00 pm.
- Health and Wellness Educational Resources: Whether it’s doing research for a paper, film, interview or wanting to learn more individually, students can stop by our office for information. We have books, pamphlets, and other resources.
- Free Condoms and other Sexual Health Products: For students who are sexually active, free condoms, lubricants and other sexual health products are available at the Emerson Wellness Center (216 Tremont Street, 3rd Floor). The Associate Director of Wellness is available to answer questions about sexual health, or you can make an appointment with a clinician to discuss contraceptive options, STI testing or PreP.
- Alcohol and Other Drug Education: Emerson offers two alcohol and drug education programs to serve students who receive a substance abuse sanction. Bring Your Own Conversation (BYOC) and Let's Be Blunt (LBB) are classes using a peer-to-peer model, conducted by two student peer facilitators. This class is generally for first-time violations.
- Nutrition Services: Nutrition counseling appointments are available at the Emerson Wellness Center and cover a variety of topics including current diet, weight and weight history, exercise and exercise history, past medical history, and goals for best health. Contact the Center for more information on nutrition services at Emerson.
Get in Touch!
We are always eager to collaborate with students and others on wellness promotion activities, please contact the office.
Email: wellness [at] emerson.edutitle="Email the Emerson Wellness Office"
Laura Owen, CHES, MA
Associate Director of Wellness and Health Promotion
Emerson Wellness Center
laura_owen [at] emerson.edutitle="Email Laura Owen"
Emerson is a JED Campus, dedicated to promoting mental health, awareness of substance abuse, and suicide prevention. Find out more!