Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What should I bring?

  • Personal Identification (state ID and/or passport – these will be important if you plan to work on campus) and Emerson ID Card
  • Health insurance card
  • Insurance protection for your property (check for coverage with your families homeowners or renters insurance policies)
  • Personal emergency preparedness kit (bottled water, flashlight, first-aid, batteries)
  • Linens and pillows (all beds are twin extra long, 38 x 80 inches)
  • Toiletries and towels (you may wish to bring a container/"caddy" to transport your toiletries)
  • Shower shoes/flip-flops
  • Household cleaning supplies
  • Toilet Paper
  • Computer (you might want to purchase a laptop anti-theft device or lock)
  • Laundry bag/basket and detergent
  • Multi-sized bandages (Band-Aids)
  • Thermometer
  • Prescription and/or over the counter medications regularly used

Q: What could I bring?

  • Additional reading/desk lamp (halogen lamps are not permitted)
  • Throw rug(s)
  • Decorations to help make your room your home
  • Hair dryer/straightener/curling iron (must have an auto shutoff function)
  • Small clothes iron
  • Dishes and utensils
  • Mattress pad
  • Umbrella
  • Personal safe or lockbox

Q: What should I NOT bring?

Do not bring any of the following items into the residence hall. Keeping these items out of the residence hall enhances the safety, comfort, and convenience of both yourself and other residents.

  • Any electrical appliance that has a heating element, a high-energy consumption (uses over 800 watts), or does not meet current UL standards. This includes, but is not limited to hot plates, electric coffee pots, immersion heaters, popcorn poppers, crock-pots, heaters, electric pans/grills/stoves, toasters, toaster ovens, air conditioners, torchiere-style halogen lamps, ultraviolet sun lamps.
  • Candles, incense, and/or oil burners
  • Extension cords longer than 10 feet
  • Pets - other than fish in 5 gallons or smaller tanks
  • Furniture of any kind, including but not limited to, desks, chairs, mattresses, beds, waterbeds, tables, and office chairs
  • Drum sets or large musical equipment
  • Speaker systems
  • Personal wireless router, as it will interfere with the wireless internet provided to your fellow residents
  • Gas-powered equipment
  • Weapons and simulated weapons (for example, firearms, knives [kitchen knives excluded], Swiss Army knives, pellet guns, paintball guns, machete, firecrackers, and capguns)

Q: How do I place a work order for an issue in my room or suite?

Please report all requests for repairs in your own room or suite to Facilities Management. To avoid a delay in response time, please make sure to specify your location as Los Angeles. Any lock issues should be filed via work order and reported directly to your Residence Director. If the concern is an issue in a public area, please report it to your RA or RD. If you have an emergency work order request, please call the duty phone for support.

Q: Who do I call about internet or other technology problems?

Call the help desk at 617-824-8080 or email helpdesk [at] (helpdesk[at]emerson[dot]edu) and those requests will be routed to our local IT administrator.

Q: What is my mailing address?

Emerson College Los Angeles
ATTN: *Student's Name and Room Number*
5960 West Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Q: Where can I print?

You can print free of charge in the 3rd floor printing lab. We don't charge for printing, but we ask that you provide your own paper. Note: abuse of printing will result in privileges being revoked.

Q: Where can I use my ELA Cash?

Every residential student receives ELA Cash as a portion of their Room and Board plan. You may use these funds at the local merchants listed below. Please note: there is no dining hall at Emerson LA.

  • IXLB Dim Sum Eats (1 block from campus)
  • GrubHub (online food delivery service with special ELA discounts and benefits)

Q: How do I obtain a California driver’s license if I don’t already have a US driver’s license?

You can make an appointment with the California DMV. We strongly suggest scheduling an appointment online in advance of your arrival. Please take care of obtaining a California driver’s license before your internship begins.

Q: How do I reserve space as a student?

For filming in the building or for access to the audio-post editing suite email Mandla Daley, Associate Director of Events and IT, at mandla_daley [at] (mandla_daley[at]emerson[dot]edu).

For other space reservations and questions email ela_reslife [at] (ela_reslife[at]emerson[dot]edu)

Q: Where do my guests park when they come to visit?

Guests may park in the parking garage located off of Gordon St. All visitors should check in with ELA Security upon arrival.