The ELA Program aims to prepare students to be employable and successful in their chosen field. Courses are taught by faculty who are not only academically credentialed, but also professionals working in the industry as producers, directors, screenwriters, journalists, advertising and public relations executives, actors, entertainment marketing professionals, and more.
Students will get the chance to intern and work directly with set designers, film and television editors and producers, writers, stage managers, marketing directors, casting directors, talent managers, magazine editors, and more, giving them an understanding of the industry beyond the classroom.
In addition to coursework and internships, students will have the opportunity to volunteer at organizations serving a wide range of values and socioeconomic needs. This series of community service programs and events will help students broaden their perspectives on diversity, social issues, and community dynamics in Los Angeles and beyond.
ELA students must:
- Be enrolled with a full-time course load (12-16 credits) during their semester at Emerson LA.
- Have at least a 2.7 GPA at the beginning of their Emerson LA semester.
- Have at least 64 credits at the beginning of their Emerson LA semester.
- Be enrolled in an internship course (XX499) within their major for either 4 or 8 credits.
- Secure an internship that aligns with their major and meets academic requirements. Emerson LA has resources and staff available to help students find and prepare for their internship. Required working hours for internships are as follows:
- 4 credits: 16-23 hours per week
- 8 credits: 24-32 hours per week
- These hours per week requirements are specific to Emerson LA only. Students in Boston registering for an internship course via the Career Development Center will have different requirements.
- International students must be eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) to participate in an internship.