Take the bus or Metro to run quick errands from downtown Los Angeles to 27 neighborhoods across the city (including the Hollywood community). There is a DASH/EXPRESS bus stop close to Emerson Los Angeles. Please visit the DASH website for information on fares, schedules, and routes. Visit the Metro and LADOT sites for additional information on public transportation.

Underground Parking at ELA

Students have the option to park their car in ELA’s underground garage.

The parking plan cost is $600 (roughly $5/day).

The cost of term parking will be posted to every Los Angeles student’s tuition bill. Students may have the charge removed from their account by emersonla [at] emerson.edu (subject: I%20want%20to%20opt%20out%20of%20the%20parking%20plan) (emailing us)title="Send email Emerson Los Angeles regarding parking plan"

Garage height clearance is 6'8" at its lowest point. Please pack and choose your vehicle with this in mind.

Car Rental Information

  • The College partners with Enterprise Rent-A-Car to provide a discounted rate to our students. The closest Enterprise Rent-A-Car location is approximately 1 mile from ELA (1619 N. Gower) and can be reached at 323-467-2277 or online.
  • Please note that if you reserve a car or rent from an airport location, you will be charged airport tax, which will increase your monthly rental rate.
  • The State of California requires that all renters have liability insurance. The cost of any insurance is in addition to the rental rate quoted.

Auto Insurance

U.S. Citizens

U.S. citizens who currently have auto insurance should bring the insurance card issued by their auto insurance company to show proof of coverage.

International Students

International students will have to buy the car insurance offered by the rental car agency in order to fulfill the State of California’s mandatory auto liability insurance requirement.

For Those Without Auto Insurance

Check to see if your family's homeowner’s policy or a credit card can cover the auto insurance requirement. Another option to consider is for your parent/guardian to rent a vehicle for the semester, and for you to bring the family automobile to Los Angeles.It will likely be less expensive for your parent/guardian to rent a vehicle, and their car insurance may cover this.

Remember, you are ultimately responsible for negotiating and adhering to the terms of any car rental agreement. Make certain you understand the terms of your car rental agreement before you sign on the dotted line and drive your car away.

State of California Auto Insurance Requirement

The State of California requires all drivers to carry liability insurance.

If you are going to drive your vehicle to California, you should be aware of the regulations involved in maintaining adequate car insurance.

The following passage was taken from the California Department of Motor Vehicles website:

Persons operating a vehicle in this state who are unlicensed or have an invalid California or out-of-state driver’s license are subject to the same financial responsibility laws as valid California licensed drivers.

California requires that drivers and vehicle owners carry the following minimum monetary limits:

  • $15,000 for injury or death of one person per accident
  • $30,000 for injury or death of two or more persons per accident
  • $5,000 for any property damage per accident

Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:

  • Accept gainful employment in California;
  • Claim a homeowner’s exemption in California;
  • Rent or lease a residence in California;
  • Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver’s license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, register to vote);
  • Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K–12).

Please visit the California Department of Motor Vehicles site for more information.