Highly complementary to majors across the college, the Strategic Marketing Communication 4+1 is an accelerated Master’s track for current Emerson undergraduates that will allow selected students to complete their Master’s in just one additional year after completing their undergraduate degree.
The 4+1 format is a fantastic opportunity for current Emerson students who are interested in pursuing a Master’s level qualification to jumpstart their careers while still obtaining a graduate degree.
- Accelerated Study. Students accepted into the program will take four required SMC Master’s (600-level) classes during their senior year in place of undergraduate electives. This accelerates the pace of the Master’s degree, making it possible to complete both the Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees within 5 years.
- Cost savings. Any 600-level credits that you take while you are still registered for your bachelor’s degree will be charged at the undergraduate tuition rate, creating significant savings on tuition! Assuming that you maintain your status as a full-time student, your financial aid will not be affected while you are still enrolled as an undergraduate student.
- The Emerson Edge. The 4+1 format requires the same number of graduate credits as a normal Master's degree, meaning you will graduate with your Master’s sooner and bring a competitive edge to the communications industry.
Curriculum and Eligibility Requirements
Students are eligible to apply for the 4+1 program in the first semester of their junior year.
The 4+1 will require students to take four graduate-level courses. Each course will be taken during their senior and 1-year post-undergraduate graduation.
A maximum of four graduate courses (16 credits) may be taken in the senior year. The four courses include:
|MK601 Introduction to SMC (Seminar)||Fall Semester|
|MK610 Brand/Marketing Management||Fall Semester|
|MK636 Creative Thinking & Problem Solving||Spring Semester|
|MK669 Behavioral Economics||Spring Semester|
It is strongly advised that interested students meet with the Graduate Program Director, Brenna McCormick, and Academic Advising by the start of their junior year in order to determine eligibility and/or plan to meet the prerequisite requirements of the program
Students apply during the first semester of their junior year. Application requirements include:
- Graduate Admission Application
- Transcript of grades
- Essay/Statement of Interest
- One letter of recommendation
- No GRE required
- A minimum of 3.3 overall GPA and a minimum 3.6 GPA in their major. Note: An overall GPA of 3.0 must be maintained once enrolled
If you have questions about the application requirements, please feel free to contact Colleen O’Brien, the Graduate Admission representative for this program, at colleen_obrien [at] emerson.edutitle="Email Colleen O’Brien".
- If you’re a first-semester junior in Fall 2022, apply by November 1, 2022, for the Fall 2023 semester.
- If you're a first-semester junior in Spring 2023, apply by April 1, 2023, for the Spring 2024 semester.