As an F-1 student you are authorized to work part-time on-campus (up to 20 hours per week) during the academic year and full-time (over 20 hours per week) during school breaks. Examples of on-campus employment include office assistant, food services, and library assistant. You may work on campus during semester breaks if you are registered for the following term. Your permission to work on-campus ends when you complete your program.

Certain campus leadership positions, for which students receive free or discounted room and board in exchange for services (for instance residence assistant positions), are not hourly paid employment, but may be assigned an hour equivalence. For instance, If you are holding a leadership position that is considered the equivalent of 10-hours per week, you may be permitted to work an additional 10 hours per week. 

Emerson’s Office of Student Employment will assist you with questions about finding on-campus employment, and completing the Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification and the W-4 Employee Withholding Certificate for tax withholdings. 

If this is your first time working in the U.S. your on-campus employer will need to complete a Certification of F-1 Student On-Campus Employment. This form must then be signed by an OISA official in order for you to apply for a Social Security Number.