About the Undergraduate Sports Communication Major
You don’t need to put on a uniform to make an impact in the world of sports. By choosing a career in esports, sports PR, or sports management, team executive, player agent, or marketing strategist, you can influence the sports you love and enrich your fellow fans’ experience.
In Emerson College’s undergraduate Sports Communication BS program, you will study strategic communication in a hands-on, immersive environment. Housed in the Department of Communication Studies in the School of Communication, the program’s faculty will teach you the newest techniques and trends on the topics of data analytics, social media, web design, and mobile communication. Simultaneously, you will deepen your appreciation for the culture of sports and the art of fandom.
Real-World Experience as a Communicator in the Sports World
Sports Communication majors have ample opportunity to gain real-world learning experience from interning around the world, meeting leaders in the sports industry, and being taught by Sports Communication alumni. Here are a few examples:
- Students often work on assignments for all of the local professional sports teams, including the Red Sox and Celtics.
- Many current students and graduates intern and work with the WooSox, a professional minor league baseball team based in Worcester, Massachusetts.
- Each year during spring break, students have the chance to travel to Barcelona to meet with BARCA marketing, public relations, and special event managers.
- Students learn firsthand of the advantages of sports as a vehicle for urban renewal with visits to Barcelona for the Olympics and Petco Park in San Diego.
Careers for Sports Communication Majors
Sports Communication graduates can apply their skills in an array of careers related to sports. Examples of careers include:
- Data Analyst
- Foundation Fundraiser
- Player Agent
- Sports Event Coordinator
Notable Sports Communication Alumni
- Jill Gearin, Director of Broadcasting and Media Relations Manager, Visalia Rawhide Baseball Club
- Paige Lopez, Esports Development and Hospitality Management, Barcelona
- Sam Presti, General Manager, Oklahoma City Thunder
- Lee Stacey, Vice President of Global Partnerships, Monumental Sports