Student Accessibility Services (SAS) offers services to qualified students with documented physical, medical, visual, hearing, learning, or psychiatric disabilities. All student requests for accommodations must be directed to and evaluated by the sas [at] (SAS staff)title="Email the Student Accessibility Services team".

Please make your requests in a timely manner to give us time to arrange the necessary accommodations. To request a test accommodation, contact SAS early in the semester, well in advance of any exams.

Students with disabilities are not required to register with SAS. However, to receive accommodations, you must register with SAS and request them. Accommodations may or may not be different than previous disability services you may have received (e.g., in high school).

Academic Accommodations

To request an academic accommodation:

  1. Provide documentation from a qualified impartial professional (psychologist, psychiatrist, or other relevantly-trained medical doctors) with experience and expertise in relation to the accommodations that are requested.
  2. Download and fill out the Initial Accommodation Request form. Return this form to SAS along with your documentation.
  3. Schedule an interview with SAS to review diagnosis, treatment history, learning challenges, and requested accommodations. This interview can take place in person, on the phone, or via video chat.
  4. After reviewing your request and supporting documentation, the director or assistant director will determine whether you are eligible to receive the requested accommodation or an alternative one, and will inform you of the decision.
  5. To implement approved accommodations in your classes, you will need to meet with a SAS staff member to get accommodation letters to distribute to your instructors at the start of each semester. These letters should be handed directly to the instructors.

Housing/Dining Accommodations

To request a housing accommodation:

  1. Download the Housing Information Packet with included SAS request form.
  2. Complete the form and return it to SAS, along with written documentation of your disability from a qualified impartial professional. 
  3. Schedule an interview with SAS to discuss your request and supporting documentation. (Students who have yet to arrive on campus should download the request packet and send the completed form to SAS, who will contact the student to discuss the request.)
  4. SAS will review your request with all relevant campus partners.
  5. SAS will notify you in writing of the decision and inform the Office of Housing and Residence Life.

To request a meal plan accommodation, please contact Karen Dickinson, Director of Business Services, to inquire about meal plan accommodations. You can reach her at 617-824-8554 or email business_services [at] emerson.eduspamspan="" title="E-mail Emerson College Business Services"

Temporary or Unconfirmed Disabilities

SAS is not required under law to assist students with temporary disabilities such as injury, psychological trauma, or short-term illness. However, on a case-by-case basis, we sometimes provide accommodations to such students. Documentation is still required. SAS will evaluate the documentation to determine whether the condition qualifies for accommodations and what accommodations can be arranged.

SAS can only provide services to students who have disabilities documented by a professional in a field related to the disability. If you think you may have a disability, sas [at] (contact us)title="Email the Office of Student Accessibility Services", the Counseling Center, or the Health and Wellness Center to discuss your concerns and find out how to receive evaluation.