While SAS provides accommodations for students with disabilities, we also want to assist faculty members in this process. If you have questions about a student’s accommodations, sas [at] emerson.edu (contact us) to discuss your concerns. 

Accommodations and Documentation

Students must provide you with an accommodation letter from SAS in order to receive accommodations for a disability. If a student requests accommodations from you without  providing proper documentation (e.g., a doctor’s note instead of an official SAS letter), encourage them to contact us to discuss the accommodations or services needed.

SAS does not generally support temporary disabilities, such as extended illness. If a student is repeatedly absent and requests accommodations in your course, you may refer them to us to discuss the situation. ​Please be aware that accommodations do not apply retroactively.

Exam Accommodations

Please see these detailed instructions on how to manage student exam accommodations.

FERPA and Disclosure

According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1976 (FERPA), once a student is enrolled in a post-secondary institution, the student is the sole guardian of their records, including grades, transcripts, and records of interactions with SAS. Since a student’s contact with SAS is completely confidential, professors will not know the nature of a student's disabilities. Accommodation letters from SAS, delivered to professors, do not include any details of the disability. The student may choose to share that information with their professors, but SAS will never release any information about a disability without the student’s written consent.

Resources for Students

If you provide a student with accommodations for a disability and they are still struggling in your course, you may refer them to the Academic Advising Center or the Lacerte Family Writing and Academic Resource Center for further help.

If a student has been granted extended deadlines for assignments or leniency with attendance and exceeds those limits, you have the right to honor the course policies set forth in your syllabus. If you are concerned that granting accommodations to a student infringes on your course policies or course structure, you may contact SAS to discuss your concerns.

If you are concerned about the behavior or well-being of a student in your course, contact Counseling Services.

Creating an Inclusive Classroom

For more information on creating a classroom environment to include and support students with disabilities, please see our Accessibility Tips for Faculty or browse the resources at the University of Washington’s Faculty Room site.