Our staff is sensitive to the challenges international students may face in a new academic and cultural environment. Below are some of the resources available to international students. Contact the WARC to make an appointment with a consultant or to learn more!
How We Can Help
English Language Support
- Our English Language Learning Consultants specialize in helping international students and non-native speakers of English who want in-depth work on their writing and language skills. English Language Learning Consultants work with both graduate and undergraduate students.
- Students may make appointments with English Language Learning Consultants at the WARC for language support, including grammar and vocabulary in writing and speaking. Academic Success Consultants also help with public speaking projects, such as rehearsing class presentations and speeches.
- The WARC offers a weekly conversation group hosted by an English Language Learning Consultant during the fall and spring semesters. Students can practice their English conversation by discussing selected topics in American culture and current events. View the schedule and sign up for the Conversation Hour here: https://emerson.mywconline.com!
Academic and Cultural Adjustment
Students may request an appointment with Tyler McPeek, Associate WARC Director, of International Student Support to discuss any academic and cultural adjustment concerns. These might involve English in the classroom and outside These might involve English usage in and outside of the classroom, academic expectations at Emerson, course difficulties, and cultural adjustment issues. Request an appointment by tyler_mcpeek [at] emerson.edu (emailing Tyler)title="email Tyler McPeek".
Although Writing Consultants don't necessarily specialize in working with international students, they are happy to help any writer with their writing projects. Writing Consultants services include brainstorming, drafting, and revising writing projects.
During the academic year, the WARC offers an informal weekly conversation hour hosted by a WARC consultant. The conversation hour is a chance for international students to practice their English speaking skills while discussing topics of general interest. The group is open to both graduate and undergraduate students. For the day and time, call the WARC at 617-824-7874 or check https://emerson.mywconline.com!
Language Learning Consultants
English Language Learning Consultants assist international students and non-native speakers of English who want in-depth work on their writing and language skills. English Language Learning Consultants work with both graduate and undergraduate students.
English Language Learning Consultants can work with you to…
- build writing skills, from deconstructing an assignment to reviewing your final draft
- improve your English grammar and vocabulary
- understand American cultural contexts to promote effective oral and written communication
- schedule weekly sessions to help you keep on track with your assignments