About the Undergraduate Media Arts Production Major
It’s easy to conceive an idea but much harder to produce it. Learn how to see your vision through to completion in Emerson College’s Media Arts Production BA/BFA program. Housed in the Department of Visual and Media Arts in the School of the Arts, the program offers you hands-on experience in every aspect of media making, from cinematography to computer animation. This gives you the flexibility to chart your own course and allows you to focus on what is most valuable to you.
In the first two years of the program, you study the foundational history of media arts and production, criticism and theory, and select from courses in different production modes. Year three consists of intermediate courses that deepen your knowledge of your areas of interest. As a junior, you may continue to complete the Media Arts Production BA degree, or you have the option of applying to pursue the BFA degree, in which you would complete a yearlong project, reel, or portfolio capstone project. In your final year, you choose courses that significantly expand your skill set and shape you into an artist who is adaptable in any area of the field and will influence the media landscape.
Real-World Experience as a Visual and Media Artist
Media Arts Production majors have ample opportunity to gain real-world learning experience. Here are a few examples:
- Students can gain hands-on experience through on-campus employment with facilities and departments within Media Technologies and Production, including the Equipment Distribution Center and Emerson Productions.
- On-campus opportunities for producing and screening work are available through student organizations such as Frames Per Second and Women in Motion and film festivals such as the Emerson Film Festival and It’s All True Documentary Film Festival.
- Off campus, the city of Boston is an inspiring outlet for your work, with dozens of theaters, television and radio stations, film festivals, and art museums and galleries.
- Students can study and intern in the hub of the entertainment industry while spending a semester at Emerson Los Angeles.
Careers for Media Arts Production Majors
Our Media Arts Production graduates have gone on to become prominent authors, screenwriters, and critics. Examples of careers include:
- Film Editor
- Production Assistant
- Script Supervisor
- Sound Engineer
Notable Visual and Media Arts Alumni
- Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert aka the Daniels, Academy Award–winning directors, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Swiss Army Man
- Erik Messerschmidt, Academy Award–winning cinematographer, Mank, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four
- Stefani Robinson, Emmy-nominated co-showrunner, producer, and writer, Atlanta, What We Do in the Shadows, Fargo
- Marcia Smith, President and Co-founder, Firelight Media