Here you’ll find information on important academic forms you’ll need throughout your career as a graduate student at Emerson. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to us! Contact the gradstudies [at] (Office of Graduate Studies) with questions.


The Graduate Catalogue and the Graduate Student Handbook contain important information for graduate students. Please see the Policy section for an additional list of college policies. Below is a selection of academic policies.


Read the Graduate Student Handbook for information on the following academic forms.

Master’s Theses & Projects Guidelines

Graduate students completing a master's thesis or project must follow the latest published guidelines for the Master’s Thesis/Project. Below is the link to the guidelines.

Graduate Directed Study/Project & Master’s Thesis/Project Chair Registration Forms

The Registrar’s Office is the keeper of the Directed Study/Project and Master’s Thesis/Project Registration forms. These forms can be found on the Registrar’s Office’s Contract Courses page.

General Petition

For any requests for changes in degree requirements such as course substitutions, waivers, or changes in the program of study requirements. 

Leave of Absence/Withdrawal

A withdrawal (WD) signifies a decision not to return to the institution. A leave of absence (LOA) is a temporary leave from the College and is valid for up to one year. Students wishing to extend their leave of absence beyond one year must submit a new request for a leave of absence. Students returning from a leave of absence must complete the Request to Re-Register from a Leave of Absence form.

Students who do not obtain an official leave of absence and fail to register for at least 1 credit will no longer be considered degree candidates. If they wish to resume candidacy, they must apply for readmission to graduate study and are responsible for payment of the Continuing Student Status fee for the semester(s) during which they were not registered.

For more information about taking a leave of absence or withdrawing, please visit Student Success.

Transfer Credits/Advanced Standing

Graduate students should use the Course Credit Consolidation Form to transfer credits from Emerson College’s Department of Professional Studies and Special Programs, or the Petition to Transfer Credit to transfer credits from another institution. The Advanced Standing form is for use by programs that allow for advanced standing prior to enrollment.

Extension of Candidacy

To request an extension of the time limit for completing degree requirements.

Petition to Waive Continuing Student Status Fee

Students who fail to register continuously will be assessed a fee for the semester they are not registered. This form is to request to have the fee waived if the cause of having no registration is outside of the student's control, and if the student has finished all of their degree requirements but still needs to take a comprehensive examination, finish their thesis/project, or finish their Incompletes.

Approval of this petition is not guaranteed.


The Office of Graduate Studies also provides templates for several pages that are required of every thesis or project:

Please refer to the Formatting and Submission Guidelines page for more information.